Downloading from URL

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KneesUp

Guru
Hello

My kid loves BBC Tweet of the Day, but somehow we've lost quite a few episodes. They're free to download, but the RSS feed only seems to have the most recent ones on it so I'd have to do it manually.

I would like to download them all (it is free, as I say) but doing it manually takes quite a while - you have to enter an episode, click download, click 'Save', go back and repeat. For 634 episodes.

The URLs are of the format

http://open.live.bbc.co.uk/mediasel...-nondrm-download/proto/http/vpid/p02qXXXX.mp3 where XXXX are seemingly random alpha numeric characters.

Is there an easy way to automatically download all the episodes anyone can think of - I have Windows 7 or Ubuntu 16.04.

Cheers

the snail

Guru
from a linux terminal the wget command will do what you want I think

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Do you use a podcast program (don't know the correct word!). I use something called gpodder, and if I give it a new RSS feed address, it goes away and gets all the existing podcasts which I can then download (then gets new ones as they are published).

Tim Hall

get_iplayer is great, but it'd be a faff for that many episodes though.

One can apparently download a comma separated string of URLs or PIDs... it's never worked for me though.
--pid=(pid number from programme website) --pid-recursive is what I'd use. Getting the pid from the programme, rather than the episide, seems to be the key.

OP
OP
KneesUp

KneesUp

Guru
get_iplayer is a fab piece of software for those of us who don't use Windows and so can't use the BBC offline any other way - I've not used it for ages mind you!

I've just tried a single episode to test but get the error:

----
:~$ get_iplayer --type=radio --pid b03mztp0
get_iplayer 3.14-ppa31d, Copyright (C) 2008-2010 Phil Lewis
This program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details use --warranty.
This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it under certain
conditions; use --conditions for details.
Episodes:
Tweet of the Day - Mistle Thrush (Song), BBC Radio 4, b03mztp0
INFO: 1 total programmes
WARNING: No media streams found for requested programme versions and recording modes.
WARNING: The programme may no longer be available - check the iPlayer site.
WARNING: If you are outside the UK, check if your VPN/VPS/Smart DNS/web proxy has been blocked.
----

It works for other items, so I presume this is something to do with it being so old?

Tim Hall

Hmm. I got the same result using your syntax. However, if I use
get_iplayer --type=radio --pid=b01s6xyk --pid-recursive --get

it downloads loads and loads of files. b01s6xyk is the pid associated with the series, not a specific episode. So far its only downloaded 110 episodes, but one of them is David Attenborough talking about the song thrush from 2013.

Edited to add --get

OP
OP
KneesUp

KneesUp

Guru
I’ve been away for a few days so apologies for late reply - that looks perfect. Will try later. Thanks.

OP
OP
KneesUp

KneesUp

Guru
《Time passes》595 files down loaded. Some were unavailable.
Did it go *really* slowly for you? Internet connection seems ok here, but I'm on episode 19 and it's taken about 5 minutes so far to download 40% of of a 4Mb episode even connected via network cable. 595 might take some time at this rate!

Top Bottom