Downsize outer chainring

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pclay

Veteran
Hi,

I recently got a CX bike with 35mm slicks and it has a compact double on the front 50/34. I am find that I spend most of my time on the 34 front ring due to the bike weight and big tyres.

The chainset is shimano FC-R565, and I was wondering if I could swap the outer chainring for something like a 46 tooth? The shimano data sheet suggest I can change the ring. Anyone have recommendation on what to get and where from? Any links appreciated.

Thanks

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
What sort of riding are you doing?
How long have you been riding?
Narrower tires may help, or a smaller chainring. But that leads to other considerations.

howdenbiker

My Calver CX has a 48 outer ring and that is perfectly ok for most situations, I use it more than the 34 inner. The bike is not light so probably much like yours. The gear set is Shimano 105 {2 x 10}

DRHysted

Guru
I must admit I have changed the outer chain ring on my boardman cx, I think I went for a 46. I mainly did it to enable me to use more of the cassettes ratios, and try to lose a flat spot (one jump that is too high to grunt, and to low to spin comfortably). I do now use most of the cassette more of the time, but I still don't have that sweet spot.

My chainset is an FSA so I just bought a new outer of the same BCD, unbolted the old one and bolted on the new one.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I can't advise on the specifics, but Spa Cycles is the place to go if you are searching for chainrings. Google them.
BTW, changing the outer chainring is usually a doddle.

OP
OP
pclay

pclay

Veteran
I am used to riding a lighter road bike regularly topping 100 miles per week. with this cx bike I am constantly on the granny ring. Rear casette is 12-27 and was thinking that by replacing the chainring I might use more of the casette. Never used a gear higher than 50 front and about half way on the rear.

Spa sell Stronglight chainrings that fit Shimano compacts, about £10 the last time I bought one. Dropping from 50 to 46 may require you to drop the front mech slightly.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Hi,

I recently got a CX bike with 35mm slicks and it has a compact double on the front 50/34. I am find that I spend most of my time on the 34 front ring due to the bike weight and big tyres.

The chainset is shimano FC-R565, and I was wondering if I could swap the outer chainring for something like a 46 tooth? The shimano data sheet suggest I can change the ring. Anyone have recommendation on what to get and where from? Any links appreciated.

Thanks

What an odd combination of gears for a CX.

Just contact Spa Cycles as already suggested in #8 and they will sort you out a 46T outer. Some chainrings need a special (cheap) tool to enable you to undo the chainring bolts.

At the same time you may want to consider changing the cassette too.

I run 46/34 and 12-30 on my CX and it is perfect for me.

Top Bottom