drafting/slipstreaming etiquette

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MattDB

Über Member
A lighthearted post:

On my way home from work today really steep hill and blowing a gale. Cyclist behind me using me as a windbreak, for 30 minutes.... Surely it would have been polite to overtake and give me a break? Or is it anything goes when it's a stranger, I feel so used :s

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Instead of stewing about it why didn't you ask him to take point for a while? It really is that simple.

OP
OP
M

MattDB

Über Member
Oh I'm not stewing, genuinely just wondered. It's never happened to me before! I didn't know what the done thing was. Hardly anyone cycles this way.

Last edited:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
As I said, you just have to ask.
Some people don't like to overtake as they may think you think they are being competitive and you'll both blow a gasket.
Some people are just rude and stick behind.
Some people are just not fit enough and need a tow.
All sorts of reasons.

Drago

Legendary Member
Fart in his face.

I was once riding on CS3 through Shadwell, and noticed a rider coming behind me. It was a miserable night, head wind, driving rain; and that route is pretty bad for pedestrians stepping out in front of you, so I had my brakes covered. I glanced over my shoulder, the other cyclist was gone. A few minutes later, I looked again - pivoting around further and saw he was on my back wheel, so close it was scary. There was no communicating in that weather, and no stopping - he'd have rammed me. And my average speed was about 12mph at the time, and I'm sure slower that day. So lazy, and so dangerous.

@MattDB you have a 30 minute climb on your commute? Wow!

OP
OP
M

MattDB

Über Member
@MattDB you have a 30 minute climb on your commute? Wow![/QUOTE]

It probably shouldn't take me 30 minutes, the wind was horrendous today and he was tailing me before the climb. But it's 6 miles home all uphill. Fairly sure it hasn't got any easier after doing it for a year. The ride in is good fun though. Weeeeeeee

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
It was pointed out by @User13710 of this parish that the person in front actually gets an easier passage with a wheel-sucker behind. Hard to believe, but there are some learned papers on the matter. Whether or not you actually want somebody six feet from your bum for a few miles is another matter.

Top Bottom