drafting/slipstreaming etiquette

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
There's decent enough science to support the assertion that the rider in front receives some aerodynamic benefit from someone riding close directly behind them. Reduction in vortices and all that

Anyhoo....I did a hard ride last weekend and for the last 3 miles back into Glossop I had a guy right up my jacksy, drafting away. No problem with that. But just as we got into Glossop he accelerated hard and shot past, no chance for me to hop on, then reverted to usual speed when he had a 50m gap. Never said a word when he went past either. Miserable twat

Tynan

Veteran
I most certainly have done turns with one or even two others caning it from time to time, one superb stretch some years ago along the Whitechapel Road at tremendous speed with a tailwind will always stick

Granted the distinction between taking turns cooperatively and trying to find out who is fastest is a fine distinction sometimes

biking_fox

Guru
I most certainly have done turns with one or even two others caning it from time to time, one superb stretch some years ago along the Whitechapel Road at tremendous speed with a tailwind will always stick

Granted the distinction between taking turns cooperatively and trying to find out who is fastest is a fine distinction sometimes

I shaved minutes off my PB of a 12mile commute into work outside Cambridge when by chance I'd pick up someone going at just about my sort of speed. Only happened once or twice in several years, but was great fun. The problem being if you're already going at similar speeds you're unlikely to meet on the road unless there's a big delay/junction somewhere.

Reactions: mjr

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Ride up the LF1 in Holland into a big headwind for forty miles, with no lycra-clad ponces in front of you, and 10 kg in the panniers.

And just shut up.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
I jumped on a lads wheel one night last week coming home from work. I offered to take a spell on front and after about half a mile I'd dropped him. I sat up and waited for him to catch me up, he was completely knackered, so we rode side by side at his pace for a couple of miles and had a nice friendly chat.

Top Bottom