Drafting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

llllllll

or as I prefer to call it, tailgating.

What's the etiquette on this while commuting? I've just been drafted for (at least) 8 miles on my way into work, I didn't know the drafter and he made no attempt to let me know he was there (I only knew when I caught him out the corner of my eye). Now I can put up with that, though it would have been nice if he'd taken a turn at the front. My problem is he ran about 2 inches off my back wheel, at times his front wheel was over lapping my rear. Fine if you're in a race or a group ride but surely this is dangerous through traffic when the rider in front doesn't know you're there? Or am I just being over sensitive?

Keith Oates

Janner
Perhaps he didn't have the energy or power to take a turn at the front but being too close is not very polite or sensible. The only consolation is that if his front wheel hit your back wheel, he's the one likely to come to grief, not you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I wouldn't draft someone I didn't know - and I wouldn't like to be drafted by someone I didn't know - neither of us know whether our skill level is up to it, to be frank.

That bloke was not on IMO. I don't like being drafted on the commute myself. I've got traffic to worry about not some idiot 2" from my rear wheel. Having said that now I've joined a club I can appreciate drafting more but they should save it for the appropriate place, the commute is not it.

U

User482

Slow down, let them pass, and then latch on to their back wheel. I guarantee that they won't like it. Or you can put the hammer down and see how fast they want to go.

Notsoblue

I don't think theres anything wrong with drafting as long as you're willing to take a turn on the front. 8 miles is a bit much though, lazy!

gavintc

Guru
I have occasionally teamed up with someone on my commute. I am lucky with the majority of my commute being on rural roads. The few times I have done it, we have shared the work, had a quick chat during changeover and generally enjoyed it.

Twiggy

Depends, if they keep doing it, I'd just stop peddling, and let my speed drop to the point where they gain nothing from sitting behind me.

That said I'll occasionally draft another cyclist while catching my breath to make the overtake. (but I tend to draft cars and vans more than cyclists.)

OP
OP
llllllll

llllllll

Glad it's not just me. I don't mind the drafting as such, it doesn't make my journey any harder after all. It's more that he was so close and without letting me know he was there. If a car had pulled out and I had to brake suddenly he'd have been straight in my back.

User482 said:
Or you can put the hammer down and see how fast they want to go.

A nice thought, but I wasn't hanging around and I'm not really built for sprinting, perhaps if there had been a long climb.........

Maz

Guru
How close do you have to be for it to count as drafting? 2 inches is obviously way too close, but I don't see what the problem is if you're say 3 or 4 ft back.

Origamist

Legendary Member
Maz said:
How close do you have to be for it to count as drafting? 2 inches is obviously way too close, but I don't see what the problem is if you're say 3 or 4 ft back.

Ideally, you do want to be only a few inches from the rear wheel of the cyclist in front of you to get the best tow. 3-4 feet is a long way off and the efficiency savings are much less!

biking_fox

Guru
Very bad form especially that close, and without taking a turn.

I do draft people when I commute normally:
After I've caught them up when the jumped the lights - but this normally means they're slow and is quickly dull
After I've caught them up if they managed to overtake me - rare
After they've been on my wheel for a bit.

Tactics to shake them. - wobble. stear for potholes and dodge at the last minute. Go for a burn. Or slow down. The 'normal' signal is to downshift on the flat, you go slow but have power to accelerate and catch the draftee as they go by.

Maz

Guru
Origamist said:
Ideally, you do want to be only a few inches from the rear wheel of the cyclist in front of you to get the best tow. 3-4 feet is a long way off and the efficiency savings are much less!
Gotya, thanks. In that case I was nowhere near drafting the roadie on his carbon-bling Orbea the other day. I could've overtaken him easily on the uphill but thought I was gaining some advantage by staying 3-4ft behind him! :biggrin:

Top Bottom