Drafting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavintc

Guru
biking_fox said:
Very bad form especially that close, and without taking a turn.

I do draft people when I commute normally:
After I've caught them up when the jumped the lights - but this normally means they're slow and is quickly dull
After I've caught them up if they managed to overtake me - rare
After they've been on my wheel for a bit.

Tactics to shake them. - wobble. stear for potholes and dodge at the last minute. Go for a burn. Or slow down. The 'normal' signal is to downshift on the flat, you go slow but have power to accelerate and catch the draftee as they go by.

Funnily enough that is exactly how I start sharing. You catch someone, you draft for a bit, get your breathing back, get bored by his slower speed, overtake. He either jumps onto your wheel or you are gone. If he stays with you, he will overtake after a reasonable period and you have a pair.

pinkkaz

Veteran
Jaded said:
Just blow your nose over your shoulder a few times.

That'll work. I almost got spat on by a cyclist yesterday.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
I started off drafting at a distance, then moved closer and closer. Can now sit a few inches from the persons infront back wheel, and be riding very close ext to each other. However, i dont do this unless i know how they ride. But i dont draft many people when on the road, i normally just overtake them and keep the power on.
Never too keen when someone i dont know drafts me, never know if they will be paying attention, and might hit my back wheel or even my rear mech if i need to brake fast-ish.
On the fixed i find it hard to sit close to someones wheel when they are on a geared. The fixed just catces them up when they freewheel or go up hill.

MessenJah

Rider
Next time it happens just test your brakes, then make him pay for the damage to your back wheel.

Or just pull over and stop for a quick drink and a stretch.

I don't see the point in sneakily drafting a single cyclist; the tiny benefit is not worth the risk. Drafting buses is much better, but only if they're not going to stop for a long time. Large vans like Transits are pretty good too.

yenrod

llllllll said:
or as I prefer to call it, tailgating.

What's the etiquette on this while commuting? I've just been drafted for (at least) 8 miles on my way into work, I didn't know the drafter and he made no attempt to let me know he was there (I only knew when I caught him out the corner of my eye). Now I can put up with that, though it would have been nice if he'd taken a turn at the front. My problem is he ran about 2 inches off my back wheel, at times his front wheel was over lapping my rear. Fine if you're in a race or a group ride but surely this is dangerous through traffic when the rider in front doesn't know you're there? Or am I just being over sensitive?

Thats half-an hour of riding and more in some cases...

How did you tolerate that for soo long :blush:

I would have asked him 'to do some work'...

And if the reply was negative told him to go away.

But things dont usually get that bad.

Once I was out riding about 2 months back and drafted some bloke for a fair while, he was looking back etc..so i went passed him and was riding at the same pace as him and it wasnt fast...: he then just fell back off the pace...some people/incidance's are strange.

Joe24

I normally end up just speeding up. Get up to around 30mph and most will drop off.

You can actually get a good amount of help from just drafting one person on a bike. If you sit in the right place you can really be sucked along. Alot of the older guys will do it/try it when i power off, and one guy was hiding to the side but back from me to get out the side wind, when i had sped up fast and he was exsposed he dropped right off.
I had a guy draft me, he thanked me for the tow when we got to some traffic light.I tucked up behind him for abit till he dropped off then went back out infront, was enough to let my legs recover some more. He waves and says hello everytime i see him.
Dont mind if they draft me, but when i put power on they have to keep up, and take a short turn on the front. The older guys that go slow then speed up all of a sudden as you pass and just hold on do annoy me though.;)

OP
OP
llllllll

llllllll

yenrod said:
Thats half-an hour of riding and more in some cases...

How did you tolerate that for soo long ;)

I would have asked him 'to do some work'...

Yeah, it must have been around half an hour, I was very pxxxxd off by the end. To be honest I didn't want to draft him though, the thought of riding at high speed that close to someone doesn't appeal at all especially on open roads. It did occur to me to brake test him but again the idea of having a someone ramming into the back of me put me off, even if he would be liable for any damage. Suppose I should have just pulled over.

Joe24

Brake test is a dumb idea, seriousely. If he is drafting right he should be to one side of the wheel, chances are it will be the side with the mech so he can see around you and its safe. You brake and his wheel and your rear mech meets. Best thing to do would of been to slow down and wave him on past and say, "come on past then" and let him power off. Sure you can say "You can pay for that damage" but do you really want to damage your bike?
What you could do is aim for the holes, but you avoid them and him being close behind wont see them untill he is over them. ;)

Monkey Boy

I think its reasonably safe to say (but I'll probably pay for this) that the drafter will be somewhat inexperienced in the etiquette. Perhaps a casual word or two to get them to take their turn may be appropriate.

Sounds like a good excuse to have some fun: perhaps some sprint training in and drop them straight away, squeeze the power on gradually and watch them huff and puff, wait for a hilly bit and keep the same speed. If they manage to keep up then they should be taking their turn at the front....then it's a case of them being a twonk. Sending a stream of snot their way then sounds perfectly reasonable to me.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I have to say I'm amazed you just put up with it - pissed off - for half an hour. I can't stay pissed off that long. I would have thought you've three options: leave the bugger behind, if you can, tell him he's out of order, or pull over and wave him past.

jasper

I can't pass judgement on commuting rides (I don't commute) but when out training on by yourself it adds to the training.

See a cyclist up ahead, throw your "fishing line and hook his shirt", reel him in, sit on his wheel to recover, then take your turn at the front. Most riders are then willing to share the load until they/you turn off to go seperate ways. If not, a cheerio, then on your way.

You'd be surprised what a difference drafting a lone cyclist makes. Remember to point out potholes/obstructions; hand pointing down to the side of the obstruction/pothole.

Have fun out there Guys/Gals.

Top Bottom