Dragon's Den

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I saw a guy on my commute home wearing the Fat Lad at the Back shorts, I think they're great.

Bannatyne just doesn't get the in-joke of the brand, nobody has to be fat to wear it, and even if he is at least he's working on it!

GC

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Have to say I've always thought the dragons a pretty bad advert for the delights of multi-millionaire entrepreneuriality - a more humourless bunch of smug, self-satisfied twats would be hard to find. If that's what success looks like, it really sharpens my appreciation for my own dedication to a life of abject failure.

OP
OP
Bryony

Bryony

Veteran
Banana tune is as sour as a whole bag of lemons!

That was supposed to say Bannantyne , but the ipad worked its magic
Haha banana tune is so much better than Bannantyne!! :laugh:

They definitely don't have a sense of humour I think the name of the brand is great! And I like the look of the small range of lasses clothing, I hope they expand the range!

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Haha banana tune is so much better than Bannantyne!! :laugh:

They definitely don't have a sense of humour I think the name of the brand is great! And I like the look of the small range of lasses clothing, I hope they expand the range!
I like the Lasses clothing too and no mention of the F-word either :thumbsup:

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
I have a
Mamil_main.jpg

Rezillo

TwoSheds
Didn't really get the possible market size, did they?

I think it's a brilliant idea to have quality cycling clothing cut for larger figures. Simply getting a bigger size with standard clothing ends up with chest and waist sizes out of proportion.

Not at all keen on the name, though, so to that extent I agreed with them. It's quirky and appeals to those who don't mind a bit of self-deprecation. However, in effect, they're identified a particular market and then excluded everyone in it who is not happy being labelled fat.

[edit] Runs off to see if Mamilwear has been trademarked.
[further edit] Looks as if it has but just looks like normal bike clothing on the website.

Last edited:

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
FLAB are quite right in that nearly all cycling clothing is primarily aimed at your bird-like scrawny type (er, like me). And even then, buying the right size in a new brand often seems like guesswork- different brands have different fit guides, different cuts... in European jersey sizes I'm generally a large. US- medium....Having an item based on your actual measurements and designed to fit you rather than stretch around you seems like a very good idea for all of us, frankly.

robotron

Agree with them on sizing, but think that they've shot themselves in the foot a bit with the name. They've had loads of publicity via magazines, websites, forums etc. over the last year but by their own admission have only had a turnover of 40ish k. I wonder if this is due to the branding?

I'm a tall-ish skinny guy, skinnier than most cyclists and I have trouble with cycle clothing, and I wouldn't dream of wearing a "skinny guy, look at me" jersey.
One of my mates who is the proverbial fat lad at the back hates this brand with a passion as he does struggle to get clothes, and sees cycling as a way of getting fitter but thinks that this brand brings unwanted attention. Not all "fat lads" are jolly and confident enough to bring attention to themselves, same as us skinny guys.

I think the Dragons, especially Peter Jones got it right. Some cyclists will like it as it's a bit quirky, but I think it excludes a lot of their potential customers. With a better name and less obtrusive logos, they could be on to a real winner as there is a gap in the market for more realistic sized cycle clothing. Good luck to them though, maybe they could keep the FLAB as a brand within a brand, and have a less controversial name for some of their products.

Top Bottom