Drain / garage flooding issue advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
We're into our third autumn in our house. First autumn we had truly horrendous levels of rain with widespread flooding. Our garage flooded and it looked like it b was bubbling up out of the ground under flags used to level for the appliances. I thought it was ground water and considered that b we might need French drains on the back garden above the garage level.

Last year we didn't have the issue and thought it was the lower rain levels and I'd cleaned leaves and grit away before it caused an issue.

This year flooding is back even though rain hasn't been as bad as year one.

Now year 1 I had to clear out a lot of leaves then grit and gravel. This year there's also gravel but no leaves as I added an extra grid that worked well it seems.

Now assuming this year's theory that the rainwater drain to the road isn't coping and gets blocked, what can we do?

My first thoughts were to get one of those flexible drain rods and try to poke around a bit to try and clear the drain. There's a sump to the drain then I think about a 6 inch pipe running diagonally out from the bottom down the driveway to join with next doors drain and the road drains. I'll never get a rod long enough so not sure if that's any good.

The other thoughts were that I might need a bigger drain put in. How easy and expensive would that be?

What other options are there?

I'm certain it's just rain water and gravel is the issue. I doubt we'll be able to stop gravel getting in. One other thought, the driveway in front of the garage is slightly higher then as it goes past the front corner of the house it drops down to the lower road, not a big drop. BTW the garage is sideways at one end of the house facing next door on a large shared driveway. It's under the house too.

GuyBoden

Guru
We're into our third autumn in our house. First autumn we had truly horrendous levels of rain with widespread flooding. Our garage flooded and it looked like it b was bubbling up out of the ground under flags used to level for the appliances. I thought it was ground water and considered that b we might need French drains on the back garden above the garage level.

Last year we didn't have the issue and thought it was the lower rain levels and I'd cleaned leaves and grit away before it caused an issue.

This year flooding is back even though rain hasn't been as bad as year one.

Now year 1 I had to clear out a lot of leaves then grit and gravel. This year there's also gravel but no leaves as I added an extra grid that worked well it seems.

Now assuming this year's theory that the rainwater drain to the road isn't coping and gets blocked, what can we do?

My first thoughts were to get one of those flexible drain rods and try to poke around a bit to try and clear the drain. There's a sump to the drain then I think about a 6 inch pipe running diagonally out from the bottom down the driveway to join with next doors drain and the road drains. I'll never get a rod long enough so not sure if that's any good.

The other thoughts were that I might need a bigger drain put in. How easy and expensive would that be?

What other options are there?

I'm certain it's just rain water and gravel is the issue. I doubt we'll be able to stop gravel getting in. One other thought, the driveway in front of the garage is slightly higher then as it goes past the front corner of the house it drops down to the lower road, not a big drop. BTW the garage is sideways at one end of the house facing next door on a large shared driveway. It's under the house too.

Look into the legality of digging a rainwater soakaway at a lower level, so the rainwater drains to a more convenient location.

Draiange-field-being-backfilled-min.jpg

Top Bottom