Dressing for the occasion....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nappadang

Über Member
I went for a spin tonight in what the Met Office would probably describe as " moderate rain." (heavy enough to soak you). I spent about an hour in the saddle and covered about 14 miles (don't laugh, I'm still a recovering fatty) with a couple of decent hills.
This was the first opportunity I've had to test out a lot of my newly acquired bike kit so I thought I'd give share my views on the wet weather gear I've cobbled together.

starting from feet and working up, here goes......

I wore an old pair of Brasher, Gore Tex, approach shoes covered with a pair of Aldi shoe covers, and my feet remained completely dry. You could attribute this to the waterproof shoes but water would get in from above and the shoes themselves were almost completely dry. Really impressed!
For my legs, I opted for a cheap pair of (Lidl, I think) winter tights/ trousers. The rationale being that warm, wind-proof & streamline but wet was a better idea then dry but sail like in the strong wind. TBH, I never noticed how wet I was until I removed the trousers. Comfortable and warm throughout. Again, really impressed.
I covered my hands in Aldi winter gloves and they remained dry, even thought the gloves were soaked.
torso wise I used an old Peter Storm, thermal base and my new Gore Bike Wear Power Active shell. My torso remained bone dry. This is the first opportunity to test the new shell and it performed really well. No perspiration and no leaks. Brilliant piece of kit!
I know this is a long winded post but it has been written in the hope that others will share their ideas and strategies for wet weather (stay home, I know) and hopefully the cold. Winter is fast approaching and I am clueless regarding what to wear etc.
I look forward to reading your sagely posts,

Mick

Booyaa

Veteran
Decent enough distance for me Mick. Well done for getting out.

videoman

Guru
Brave man going out in the rain when you don't have to and I don't think 14 miles in an hour is too bad at all. Thanks for the quick review of your winter gear as I'm after something similar for myself.

Top Bottom