Dried foods?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sara_H

Guru
Me and my LO are off on a two night mini tour next week.

Though we're staying in Pub campsites we're cooking our own tea. We have a single burner and two pans.

Any top tips for dehydrated foods?

I'm thinking noodles, smash, I saw some dahl and chilli etc.

What about desserts?

I'm going shopping tomorrow, and want to get something for both nights, so any recomendations will be very welcome.

Thanks, Sara_H

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I like cous cous for an all in one dish, but it isn't always the most warming of meals, whereas I think rice holds it's heat better on a cooler evening.

Tiberius Baltar

If your after some tasty meals that don't cost loads and are easy to cook then you should look at a website called "look what we found" when I go wild camping around Snowdon these meals are great. They are boil in the bag so there is no mess and all the ingredients are sourced from British farmers. Tasty wholesome food and they are only around £2.50 each. Pick yourself some nice crusty bread up along the way and you know your going to enjoy your tasty hot chicken tikka when you get to your tent! :hungry:

I like cous cous for an all in one dish, but it isn't always the most warming of meals, whereas I think rice holds it's heat better on a cooler evening.
Another vote for cocus cous. I also take the likes of Continental rice and pastas. They "cook" easily off the flame and I find are quite filling. I generally add chilli, dried peas, salami or tuna or salmon, carrot and garlic to the mix to try and give it some flavour.

Andrew

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Also eating out of a bowl rather than a plate seems to keep the food a little warmer and less likely to fall off it you are eating in your lap (especially for younger children). Dahl would probably take too long to cook - from a using lots of gas point of view. And to finish off the meal ... hot chocolate (and marshmallows ...:smile:)

I've cooked packet noodles before now as a good quick food - just beef it up with some additional veg and salami if you want.

OP
OP
Sara_H

Sara_H

Guru
LO is little one?
Yes, a nine year old little one in this case!

Thanks for all replies. I'm an awkward vegetarian, the LWWF meals are all a bit beef stew and dumplings.

Think we're going for veg sausages (not dried but not heavy) and smash followed by a sticky toffee pudding pouch from go outdoors on night one. Night two will be cous cous and something (I love cous cous). We're taking hot choc and soup sachets also.

For breakfast I think we're going to have either porridge sachets or porridge with milk powder and sugar already mixed in.

Can't wait!

P.H

Über Member
Sound like you've got it sorted. For future reference and when buying from a local shop rather than carrying - those microvave packets of rice cook easily and quickly on the stove, just add a little water and heat through, 3-4 min.

OP
OP
Sara_H

Sara_H

Guru
Just been on my dehydrated food shop.
I found carnation dried rice pudding mix, which I've never seen before so I bought one to try.

Bodhbh

Guru
Yes, a nine year old little one in this case!...

For breakfast I think we're going to have either porridge sachets or porridge with milk powder and sugar already mixed in.
:smile:

To answer the question, I am a big fan of augmenting porridge. Dried raisins, fruit, dried fruit of all sorts, cocoa, cinnamon, ginger, honey, an egg (mixed in with the oats to thicken) pretty much anything. I know not all of that is dried, but you can jazz up porridge no end.

Berties

Fast and careful!
If your after some tasty meals that don't cost loads and are easy to cook then you should look at a website called "look what we found" when I go wild camping around Snowdon these meals are great. They are boil in the bag so there is no mess and all the ingredients are sourced from British farmers. Tasty wholesome food and they are only around £2.50 each. Pick yourself some nice crusty bread up along the way and you know your going to enjoy your tasty hot chicken tikka when you get to your tent! :hungry:
Had a lok at their web site some good stuff on there for camping!

Tiberius Baltar

Had a lok at their web site some good stuff on there for camping!

Its the tastiest stuff Ive found but one thing about them is the calorie count. They aren't the biggest calorie packers so if your intending to do lots of walking you may need to supplement them. Still really nice food though. :thumbsup:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
A long time ago we walked in the Corsican mountains carrying all our rations for days, surviving on dehydrated hiking food and water from streams. We found that they clogged up our alimentary canals in a most alarming fashion :whistle: Strangely enough, the dehydrated scrambled egg mix with a bit of added margarine tasted absolutely heavenly. The mind boggles. Have a great time.

Top Bottom