Drier Balls

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brains

Legendary Member
We've resisted so far, but after such a run of lousy weather we've decided it will be a good back up.

We also have a 'Sheila Maid' ceiling drying rack, which we have bought with us from house to house, so we have never had a dryer.

It lives in our scullery with the dish washer, the fridge/freezer and the washing machine

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
We've not got a drier but a ceiling clothes drying rack in the kitchen. It works a treat!!

Not my kitchen but you get the idea:

1328803764-19536100.jpg
We had one of those in the kitchen when I was a boy. Place was always dripping in the winter. I thought they'd gone out of use but a friend of mine now has one in his dining room :eek:
In principle - a good idea - but good ventilation and some heat are required.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
We went without a dryer for about a decade but the decision to use washable nappies and the heinous weather made getting one necessitous. We have always used dryer balls, they have the advantage that you can clearly hear when your drying is done!

OP
OP
Lullabelle

Lullabelle

Banana
We had one of those in the kitchen when I was a boy. Place was always dripping in the winter. I thought they'd gone out of use but a friend of mine now has one in his dining room :eek:

I remember my great grandma having one in her kitchen, I am going back at least 30 years

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
I remember my great grandma having one in her kitchen, I am going back at least 30 years

I'm going back at least 40 yrs (allegedly :sad: )

U

User482

How big is your kitchen?? I don't like to have damp washing around so it usually goes on a clothes airer in the spare bedroom, have to open the windows and in winter it is cold and the room gets a bit musty so I just want to dry stuff in winter without having damp stuff lying around.

You could buy a dehumidifier. Far less energy than a tumble dryer, no damp, no need to open the window, and your washing will dry overnight. Washing does dry outside in winter if you can get it on the line early morning, but I appreciate the weather isn't really helping at the moment.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
[QUOTE 2242261, member: 259"]We used to have a drying rack in the kitchen. It worked very well, with the bonus that your pants ended up smelling like fried onions..[/quote]

Can I 'like' that without appearing (more) like a perv?

They do date from the days of houses being warmed by coal fires and wasn't unusual for kitchens to have a range type cooker that was coal, or later gas fired which would help with the humidity.

Top Bottom