Drift Cameras

Discussion in 'Commuting' started by Reiver, 22 Aug 2012.

1. Reiver

Reiver Ribbit, Ribbit.

Any thoughts as a helmet camera?

One of my criteria for a camera is to also be able to power it from the 12v supply in the car, the drift seems to fit the biil. Any other cameras that would be suitable for car and bike.

2. gaz

gaz Cycle Camera TV

It is a good camera. A little larger than a contour.
    It may be worth looking at the Contour and GoPro range, I believe they can also be powered whilst on.

3. Matthew_T

Matthew_T "Young and Ex-whippet"

When I was looking into getting a decent helmet cam, I was strongly thinking about Drift. I think they are a newer company than Contour and GoPro but they are on the same quality and feature level.

The thing I liked about the Drift's is that they have a screen on them, meaning you can review footage immediately. It also comes with a remote.
    Footage from the camera (dont know which one) can be found on TheGardenSnake's channel (http://www.youtube.com/user/TheGardenSnake?feature=g-u-u).

They have a similar feild of view to the Contour but as Gaz said, they are a bit bulky and wouldnt really suit a helmet.
    As far as a dashcam though, it would probably be fine. But I dont know if they make a mount for it.

4. BSRU

BSRU A Human Being

You can use a the 12v auxiliary(cigarette lighter) socket to power both the GoPro and the Contour(Contour needs a special cable).

5. P_Dalen

P_Dalen Active Member

I have used a Drift HD170 Stealth as a commuting helmetcam for almost one and a half year. It's very robust and weather resistant, even under Norwegian winter conditions. But I have never actually needed the display (apart from showing camera settings). The remote control was put in some drawer at home and is still there!

6. Peowpeowpeowlasers

Peowpeowpeowlasers Well-Known Member

If it's for a helmet I wouldn't recommend a GoPro, they're simply the wrong shape for the job. Mine is mounted on my handlebar.

gaz likes this.
  7. BSRU

BSRU A Human Being

Sony and JVC are about to launch "sports camera's" and I have read that they will have image stabilisation.

8. OP
    OP
    Reiver

Reiver Ribbit, Ribbit.

Any pictures of it attached to your helmet - I am curious as to how big it looks.

Any youtube liknks to any road use?

What sort of battery life are you getting, and has the battery lasted?

9. OP
    OP
    Reiver

Reiver Ribbit, Ribbit.

I wish you hadn't told me that, I was just about to splash the cash

10. Matthew_T

Matthew_T "Young and Ex-whippet"

11. P_Dalen

P_Dalen Active Member

Sorry, no...

See sig.

I use the camera about 1 hour every day, and then it is necessary to charge the battery every second day. I haven't replaced the battery so far.
    My lens cover broke once when the camera fell on the floor. I contaced Drift and got a spare lens cover for postage cost (£5) paid by paypal. Good service.

12. BSRU

BSRU A Human Being

Unfortunately no idea when they will be released.

13. Cycling Dan

Cycling Dan Cycle Crazy

The roam cant. Wont record when i have tried, unless im doing something wrong

14. BSRU

BSRU A Human Being

Contour have frigged the USB port so that a standard USB cable will not allow a user to recharge and record at the same time.
    You would need the special Contour 12v cigarette lighter charging cable.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice