drive side crank stuck

• Thread starter Deleted member 41544
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
D

Deleted member 41544

Thanks all for your help, its a 2012 carrera virtuoso that i picked up for 50 quid, wanted to learn about bikes and building them so figured a couple of hundred quid on it would give me a more than useful commuter,
its still sat in my shed, i think cutting the crank off may be the way to go. Big big big but here!!! if this has proved so difficult whats the bottom bracket gonna be like?

i've used wd40 and penetrating spray, I've hit the bolt with a punch and used two long spanners on the crank bolt tool but it won't budge, I am turning it the right way, i served some time as an apprentice hgv mechanic so i'm familiar with stuck bolts, the non drive side came straight out, i was just wondering if i could remove it while still attached to the bottom bracket as i don't have much at home i.e a gas axe, a work bench and a vice and a 6 foot pulling bar
I don't understand. What is a crank bolt tool? Square taper cranks (this is what it is, isn't it?) are fixed with an 8mm bolt that either has an hex head for allen key or 15mm head for socket. An 8mm bolt easily shears off if it is attacked with two long spanners and yours hasn't? What's going on here? Photos will help.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 41544

crank bolt tool is basically a crank puller on one end and a thin walled socket on the other, that can be pulled with a spanner, its difficult to get enough purchase on the bolt head, to give it enough welly to shear it

crank bolt tool is basically a crank puller on one end and a thin walled socket on the other, that can be pulled with a spanner, its difficult to get enough purchase on the bolt head, to give it enough welly to shear it
Oh, you cannot get enough purchase on the head of the crank puller. Make sure the washer is removed from the crank i.e. the one between the crank bolt and crank bolt recess and, lubricate the crank puller bolt with oil. Screw the puller all the way in to the crank, making sure it bottoms out without the actual puller bolt stopping it going deep enough into the crank. Once you are sure the crank puller is secure, turn the puller bolt with a long enough spanner. I've never come across one that doesn't pull the crank no matter how tight the crank. The crank puller bolt is high tensile steel on a small thread, it works very well. The only danger is the puller stripping the crank's threads but that is minimized if you are sure the washer is out.

Sharky

Guru
+1 for making sure the washer has been removed. I spent a good few minutes once and almost stripped the threads before I realised I hadn't removed the washer.

Tim Hall

Oh, you cannot get enough purchase on the head of the crank puller. Make sure the washer is removed from the crank i.e. the one between the crank bolt and crank bolt recess and, lubricate the crank puller bolt with oil. Screw the puller all the way in to the crank, making sure it bottoms out without the actual puller bolt stopping it going deep enough into the crank. Once you are sure the crank puller is secure, turn the puller bolt with a long enough spanner. I've never come across one that doesn't pull the crank no matter how tight the crank. The crank puller bolt is high tensile steel on a small thread, it works very well. The only danger is the puller stripping the crank's threads but that is minimized if you are sure the washer is out.
I think you've got the wrong end of the stick big spanner. As I understand it, @rugbyleaguebiker is using one of these:
419t5Rt%2BIVL._SY300_.jpg

The socket end is used as a, umm, socket, to undo the crank bolt. The tool is then reversed and the threaded part screwed into the crank to pull it off. Except he's stuck at the "undo the crank bolt" stage.

Attachments

• 419t5Rt%2BIVL._SY300_.jpg
    419t5Rt%2BIVL._SY300_.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 18
OP
OP
D

Deleted member 41544

That is correct @Tim Hall, its become more of a war than a project now, could probably pick up a frame of equal standard for sub £40, but thats giving in

Ajax Bay

Guru
@rugbyleaguebiker well, what happened?

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 41544

Wife fell pregnant, had to move her floristry business from the spare room to MY shed, meaning bike things had to be trimmed to one rideable bicycle you all know those conversations.............
Baby Grace is now here in the spare room and the wife has a nice brand new big shed for her business and I have two road bikes and a mountain bike..............
But still wouldn't mind a project....

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 41544

Thanks, it sure does. She'll soon be ready for a bike seat

Top Bottom