drive train cleaning, washing up liquid?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Which above reasons?

I don't think anyone's suggesting it's a bad idea. Just that it may not be the most effective.

Because it's not very effective and will promote corrosion ;)

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Can you substantiate the second point?
Just parroting what I've heard in the past from various sources tbh.. which I've never had any reason to doubt. I'll use washing up liquid for cleaning lightly greasy / muddy non-drive parts, however find it a waste of time for anything really greasy as it just causes an even bigger mess.

I'm not sure anything water-based would be good for really intricate parts like the chain, unless you bake it afterwards to ensure that no water is left trapped inside...

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Just re washing up liquid, it's certainly avoided by the obsessive car detailers but I think it makes little to no difference to a car once rinsed tbh - but it is quite aggressive, so is a way to strip off any waxes or glazes that have been put on paintwork in preparation for polishing/claying/caressing with the hair of unborn foals 😊

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
My twopennothworth, then. Nowt much on telly...
I've been washing bikes since Adam was a lad, and never had anything fall to bits, rot, dissolve or otherwise disintegrate.
All along, like the fool I am, I used washing up liquid and luke warm water.
That lemony one, early on in my bike-washing days. Then Fairy, of course, like most of us bike washers did. We grew up on Fairy.
Once I got my own place and got fancy, I went eco and used that Bio D gear. You need to squirt a tad more in, but it's six and two threes really.
Gets off all the crud, with a soft brush, and then a sluice down with clean water and a sponge. That'll do nicely officer.

i also use Three in One oil on my chain.

Think I'll go make a brew and see what's on the radio.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I like the way this thread's becoming basically a reprise of the article in the OP.

I didn't even notice there was a link in the OP. I just dived in and started blathering nonsense in true CC style. However it's interesting that the linked article says the following: (NB "dish soap" is, I think, the same thing as "washing up liquid" it is according to wikipedia anyway https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dishwashing_liquid)

Shimano officially recommends the use of dish soap and warm water, a cheap, safe and well-proven method. While dish soap is perfect for cleaning a lightly soiled chain, you’ll quickly see it beaten by more stubborn grime.

Top Bottom