Driver awareness course - Anyone been on one?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
They are growing in popularity in the police service, but what does the course entail? And does it actually make a difference to the way drivers think?
If anyone knows what the course is about or has been on one, please share your opinions on it. Because when punishments are given out, it is usually a fine and points, or going on one of these courses.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
You've been done for speeding haven't you?

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I was caught speeding on the A303 at 79 mph last year. My first and only offence. I was offered the choice of paying £70 and having three points on my license, or going to a speed awareness course in Winchester. I think the fee for the course was about the same as the fine. I live in London and that would have been a whole lost day to attend. I took the points. I didn't agonise over it.

BTW, a neighbour went one of these courses. He said that you do not have to make some kind of public Stalinist confession to "The Group" and show contrition. You just have to attend.

Last edited:

alicat

Legendary Member
I went on a speed awareness course about six years ago and am booked on another next month. I found it very helpful and not at all patronising/lecturing. Since the first course, I now keep a much better eye on the speed limit especially at 30mph when it matters most. I take a pride in keeping a clean licence and don't want to have to declare any points to my insurers.

Unfortunately I got flashed a second time in a variable speed limit area just over a month ago. I feel a bit sore about that. It was at the junction of the M6 Toll/M42 southbound and the limits go up and down frequently. They are just an extra hazard imho. I was clocked at 52mph but they couldn't tell me what the limit was at the time (probably 40) and I still don't know which of three cameras within 2 miles it was. I've driven past daily and still can't see a camera number in the locality, in between keeping an eye on the hazards around me.

Matthew _T, be aware that people passing their first driving test are on 'on probation' for two years. A total of six or more penalty points during that time will mean they have to go back to learner status, apply for a new provisional licence and take the test again. If your reason for asking relates to you and the above applies I would go on the course as a 'no brainer'.

slowwww

Veteran
I did one about 5 or so years ago after I was caught doing 34mph in a 30 zone while visiting a customer in Northampton

The choice was a £60 fine and 3 points, or attend the course for a £60 fee and no points. No brainer, I thought, even though this was a 100 mile round trip from home (they wouldn’t let me transfer to a more local course). However, while I was in there some kind soul knocked the door mirror off my car which cost £330 to repair and so I’d have been far better off paying the fine + points.

From what I've heard, these courses seem to fall into two camps. The first is to show lots of really gruesome pictures of the aftermath of accidents to try to shock you into slowing down, and the latter more instructional. This includes talking about why speed limits are set at what level, what local factors will be employed on deciding where to have speed cameras, hints on driving styles and what to watch out for on the road (including different road surfaces and cambers, lighting conditions, etc). Fortunately mine was one of the latter, and was genuinely informative and thought provoking, and not at all preachy. Frankly the contents have stayed with me long after the 'shock and awe' of the former would probably have worn off.

Peter Armstrong

Über Member
I went on a speed awareness course about six years ago and am booked on another next month. I found it very helpful and not at all patronising/lecturing. Since the first course, I now keep a much better eye on the speed limit especially at 30mph when it matters most. I take a pride in keeping a clean licence and don't want to have to declare any points to my insurers.

Unfortunately I got flashed a second time in a variable speed limit area just over a month ago. I feel a bit sore about that. It was at the junction of the M6 Toll/M42 southbound and the limits go up and down frequently. They are just an extra hazard imho. I was clocked at 52mph but they couldn't tell me what the limit was at the time (probably 40) and I still don't know which of three cameras within 2 miles it was. I've driven past daily and still can't see a camera number in the locality, in between keeping an eye on the hazards around me.

Matthew _T, be aware that people passing their first driving test are on 'on probation' for two years. A total of six or more penalty points during that time will mean they have to go back to learner status, apply for a new provisional licence and take the test again. If your reason for asking relates to you and the above applies I would go on the course as a 'no brainer'.

But not helpfull enough to stop you speeding ha ha

slowwww

Veteran
But not helpfull enough to stop you speeding ha ha
" Let he who is without sin, cast the first stone?"

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
They are growing in popularity in the police service, but what does the course entail? And does it actually make a difference to the way drivers think?
If anyone knows what the course is about or has been on one, please share your opinions on it. Because when punishments are given out, it is usually a fine and points, or going on one of these courses.
Have you been caught speeding then?
I have never been on one because I am a good driver, ah ah!!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
@Matthew_T you haven't been caught ?

When I spotted you in Tesco at the weekend, it was only because you had booted it in the car and I could hear a car shooting across the car park. I had turned to hear the noise. :blush:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Speed awareness or Driver awareness - they're two different courses.

I've done the driver awareness one about 5 years ago. The theory stuff was a waste of time since the 'instructor' treated it like a joke. However the practical element with a driving instructor was very helpful; I'd picked up a couple of bad habits.

SWMBO has been on the speed awareness course and it appeared to work ... for about 3 months when she was again caught speeding.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Some insurance companies now ask if you have points or have been on a course.

Although I get the impression three points or a course in isolation will not do your premium much harm.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Ask me after 25th May:rolleyes:
20 years and never been stopped, and rather embarrassed to have been caught, momentary lapse in concentration. Still, no excuse, and I've paid the £97.50 for the course rather than £100 + 3 points. Sister in law attended one a few months back and said it was really good, so if nothing else I may gain some hints on improving my driving...

Top Bottom