Driver awareness course - Anyone been on one?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Roadhump

Time you enjoyed wasting was not wasted
Interesting that some people were not allowed to attend a course nearer to where they live. I got zapped by a mobile camera doing 57 in a 50 on the Snake Pass in Derbyshire. I got the NIP letter and following my declaration that I was the driver, I got another letter offering the course. I was offered a course at a location in Derbyshire, but also told that I could choose another location nearer home via the internet which I did.

Things that struck me where:

• the sheer number of people attending, there was a course immediately before mine and one immediately after, each course had about 30-35 attendees, and they are run 6 days a week at numerous locations around the country
  • the instructors weren't police officers, and said that this was so the course was seen as a learning rather than a finger wagging exercise
  • they said that if they were caught speeding, they would lose their jobs as it would be viewed as hypocritical if not (not sure I agreed with that) unless their circumstances allowed them to qualify for a SAC themselves
  • some attendees had been on several courses, one said he was a van driver and had 14 points for various offences but had pleaded exceptional hardship at his last court appearance, the court agreed and allowed him to keep his licence - then he was flashed speeding and was allowed to attend a SAC - cats and 9 lives spring to mind
  • I was once told by a traffic cop that they exercised a margin of discretion of 10% + 2 mph over the speed limit (which my 57 in a 50 met) when dealing with speeding offences, but that seems to have gone by the board - one attendee on a previous course got caught doing 76 on the motorway
I was genuinely glad to be able to attend and now I take more care - as well as saving myself a few quid in increased insurance premiums.

GaryA

Subversive Sage
Mind numbing patronising twaddle for nearly 4 hours-could have completed course in 1 hr
Durham radison blue hotel, nice venue mind.
(35mph on entering 30mph dual carriageway-mobile camera......last working day of month)

MisterStan

Label Required
Mind numbing patronising twaddle for nearly 4 hours-could have completed course in 1 hr
(35mph on entering 30mph dual carriageway-mobile camera......last working day of month)
On the course I attended, there were pictures of where my friend's girlfriend's head had gone through the windscreen of a car at Christmas time when she was crossing the road. Driver was doing between 35 and 40 in a 30 MPH zone. Certainly made me think.

GaryA

Subversive Sage
I dont need a course to make me think
I'm not complaining, just commenting....
Every other day I nearly get sideswiped by drivers I'd wager never get caught for being incompetent and dangerous

Roadhump

Time you enjoyed wasting was not wasted
Perhaps the other 3 hours is a form of punishing you by surreptitious imprisonment

Me and my wife stayed in that hotel for a mini break a couple of years ago - top venue

Another 10% + 2 mph case that might have just got a ticking off before discretion was frowned upon - but perhaps just a sneaky trick, there is a place near me where a road goes from a built up area (30 limit) in Merseyside into a rural area (National limit of 60 mph) in Lancashire and Lancs Police are renowned for parking 20 yards into their 60 mph bit and using a hand held speed gun to catch people as they accelerate a few yards before leaving the 30 zone - an offence strictly speaking but sneaky and hardly conducive to wooing Joe Public.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
  • I was once told by a traffic cop that they exercised a margin of discretion of 10% + 2 mph over the speed limit (which my 57 in a 50 met) when dealing with speeding offences, but that seems to have gone by the board - one attendee on a previous course got caught doing 76 on the motorway

The 10 per cent plus 2mph rule is the maximum speed for which a speed awareness course can be offered.

There is no minimum transgression, so the guy doing 76mph on a motorway was offered a course, as could someone done for 71 or 72mph.

Top Bottom