Driver 'hit and killed cyclist while looking at mobile' (Newbridge)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
From the BBC:

A minibus driver who was looking at photographs on his mobile phone hit and killed a cyclist, a court has heard.

Andrzej Wojcicki, 44, of Blackwood, was reported to have been looking at pictures of vintage sports cars when he knocked Owain James off his bike on the A472 at Newbridge.

Mr James, from Oakdale, hit the bonnet and windscreen before falling onto the road, Cardiff Crown Court was told.

Mr Wojcicki denies causing death by dangerous driving in July last year.

The jury was told Mr Wojcicki was driving at 50mph.

Prosecutor Nicholas James said: "The driver never saw the cyclist because he was distracted until after he collided with him.

"Because Mr Wojcicki was driving dangerously, he caused the death of Owain Richard James.

"It is as simple as that. You do not take pictures while you are driving along and then look at them.

"The minibus seemed to be drifting about slightly as if he was distracted.

"He never braked and he did not stop for some considerable distance after the collision."

Mr Wojcicki had told police officers that Mr James had swerved out in front of his left-hand drive minibus.

The trial continues.

GC

OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless

I saw that too. What caught my eye was the statement from the Landrover driver in which he quite deftly removed any 'low sun' excuse, and made it clear the cyclist had done nothing wrong.

"Matthew Smallman, 41, from Pontypool, was driving his Landrover to Pontypridd when he witnessed the incident.
Mr Smallman, himself a keen cyclist, said the bike was being ridden "perfectly properly" and not wobbling or swerving. He said the cyclist looked fit, but was not wearing a helmet or a high visibility jacket.
He added: "It was a beautiful day, it was not raining and the road was bone dry. I did not have my visor down, so there was no sun in my eyes. The road was clear.
"The minibus did not alter its course at all and no brake lights came on. The minibus ploughed into the cyclist."
Mr Smallman said he believed the minibus was not going to stop, but it did eventually come to a halt 125m after the site of the collision. He told the court the driver then got out and started taking photographs.

GC

Crankarm

Guru
I saw that too. What caught my eye was the statement from the Landrover driver in which he quite deftly removed any 'low sun' excuse, and made it clear the cyclist had done nothing wrong.

"Matthew Smallman, 41, from Pontypool, was driving his Landrover to Pontypridd when he witnessed the incident.
Mr Smallman, himself a keen cyclist, said the bike was being ridden "perfectly properly" and not wobbling or swerving. He said the cyclist looked fit, but was not wearing a helmet or a high visibility jacket.
He added: "It was a beautiful day, it was not raining and the road was bone dry. I did not have my visor down, so there was no sun in my eyes. The road was clear.
"The minibus did not alter its course at all and no brake lights came on. The minibus ploughed into the cyclist."
Mr Smallman said he believed the minibus was not going to stop, but it did eventually come to a halt 125m after the site of the collision. He told the court the driver then got out and
started taking photographs.

GC

What a complete and utter c**t! I know it won't happen but I hope the f****r is jailed and the key is thrown away.

Read this dreadful story this morning and then went off by car to do a food shop. I was still pondering what kind of idiot tries to use a mobile phone while driving, when one pulled up at the traffic lights opposite me. Two hands on the wheel at 5 to 12 position. Phone also in both hands held horizontally. Facebook or texting I guess.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
So why have they got to print this then :angry:

Because it was a balanced report and this also comes into the balance.

I am against telling people what they should and should not wear but not against listening to advice. I often wear a vis vest and sometimes wear a helmet. I am not sure if a helmet is designed for anything but a light tumble but am convinced that a vis vest does make it easier for motorists to see you.

But unfortunately, in this case nothing the cyclist did would have avoided this fatality.

As I ride/drive home on my commute. I see at least one person driving and on the phone, every single day. The driver is invariably in the car by themselves. I can never remember a driver on the phone with someone else in the car.

The law needs to be changed so if you are caught driving and using the phone, you are fined £1000. The police then need to mount a massive campaign to catch as many of them as they can in as short a time as possible so people get it into their heads what the score is.

The driver in this incident needs to go away for a long time for this accident and then a long time for having the audacity of blaming the cyclist and pleading not guilty.

It looks like the Land Rover drvers evidence will help.

Steve

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Because it was a balanced report and this also comes into the balance.

I am against telling people what they should and should not wear but not against listening to advice. I often wear a vis vest and sometimes wear a helmet. I am not sure if a helmet is designed for anything but a light tumble but am convinced that a vis vest does make it easier for motorists to see you.

But unfortunately, in this case nothing the cyclist did would have avoided this fatality.

As I ride/drive home on my commute. I see at least one person driving and on the phone, every single day. The driver is invariably in the car by themselves. I can never remember a driver on the phone with someone else in the car.

The law needs to be changed so if you are caught driving and using the phone, you are fined £1000. The police then need to mount a massive campaign to catch as many of them as they can in as short a time as possible so people get it into their heads what the score is.

The driver in this incident needs to go away for a long time for this accident and then a long time for having the audacity of blaming the cyclist and pleading not guilty.

It looks like the Land Rover drvers evidence will help.

Steve
Agree with most of this although instead of £1000 which to some will be pocket money (not me i have a couple of ha pennies ) maybe lose the license permanently and crush the car .

Can you honestly believe the police are going to take cyclists safety into consideration! when is the last time you saw coppers even walking the beat. They are totally undermanned and only PSO,s I ever see these days at all. Look on youtube to see the vids of stupid, careless morons either texting, etc on their mobiles WHILST TRYING TO DRIVE PROTECTED IN THEIR TIN CANS and even with footage no action taken by our so called public servants [ PLOD} Ok rant over but what a tragedy a prat looking at pics when driving, some children, wife mother will be grieving for the rest of their lives, thoughts are with his family and friends.

jarlrmai

Veteran
I used to see the police on mountain bikes when I rode to Liverpool everyday, saw them in the door zone and getting close passed they seemed oblivious and not very well trained.

abim

As a sister of Owain (the cyclist) we ( the family) have sat in court over several days listening to what happened & how it happened. It has been devastating to us to hear how our brother, son, uncle was "ploughed down".
Owain was an intelligent, happy young man who made an impact on the lives of the people around him.
His life was then cut drastically short by a man who was taking photo's whilst driving.
He has no morals, to lay the blame on the victim is shameful & unacceptable. Let's hope Owain get's the justice he deserves. Nothing short of a long custodial sentence will suffice!!
RIP lil Bro xxx You will never be forgotten xxx

Top Bottom