1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Driver on hands-free mobile caused crash

Discussion in 'Advocacy and Cycling Safety' started by summerdays, 27 Jun 2008.

1. summerdays

summerdays Cycling in the sun Staff Member

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/2201008/Driver-using-hands-free-phone-caused-fatal-crash.html

Marvyn Richmond, 49, was so engrossed in a conversation with his mother that he failed to notice traffic ahead of him had come to a standstill, and ploughed into the back of the queue, killing Michael Buston, a passenger in a van.

Hopefully a few motorists will take note although if you read the comments at the bottom of the page it doesn't sound as if they will.

2. John the Monkey

John the Monkey Frivolous Cyclist

When will these boneheads realise that propelling 2 tonnes of metal at 30 miles an hour (if the rest of us are lucky) is inherently dangerous, and requires concentration?

I hope they throw away the key.

3. woohoo

woohoo Über Member

Probably nearer 40 tonnes of metal

4. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

One does wonder what he was doing speaking to his mother for over 20 minutes while driving. A couple of minutes perhaps, but 20?

5. yello

yello Guru

Indeed. This one particularly angered me....

Yes, just an unavoidable accident. No mention that the distraction might have been avoidable if the driver had not been on the phone to his mother. And, yes, he might live with the result but sadly the man he killed, Michael Buston, does not and the family of Michael Buston have to live with it.

The law should be changed. People do not have to make mobile phone calls whilst driving. It is as simple as that.

6. Riding in Circles

Riding in Circles Veteran

The odds are that the same driver would have been "distracted" by something good on the radio. Or a girl in a short skirt on the pavement so maybe radios and short skirts should be banned to.

7. dodgy

dodgy Veteran

I've yet to make or take a phone call yet whilst driving couldn't wait until later, we managed before 1994(ish).

Dave.

8. marinyork

marinyork Resting in suspended Animation

Some people are like that though. My sister got a handsfree kit installed in her car a couple of years back (did it otherwise before that) and rings up various of my relatives whilst on Yorkshire to South East England jaunts because it is "boring" not talking during driving. Some previous work colleagues from a while back were exactly the same.

9. yello

yello Guru

In short, yes. If it were practical to do so. Yes, it is human nature to be distracted - so we remove all possible causes of distraction where it is practical to do so. OR we accept that lives will be lost occasionally to such distractions. Which would you prefer? Which would society at large prefer?

Realistically, there's not much we can do about the 'short skirt' distraction, or even 'kids in the back seat' distraction... but there's no such argument for mobile phone usage. Mobile phone usage in cars can be curtailed as it is not necessary. Certainly not for 20 minutes!

The situation with radios is an interesting one and comparable, intuitively I would agree. So there's perhaps an equal argument for removing car radios! I don't know but perhaps levels of engagement with the radio is less than a mobile, again (and dangerously?) intuition tells me it would be.