Driver sentenced to 10 months for hitting cyclist

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
It's not, in my opinion, a strong enough sentence but it makes a change to see someone actually go to prison for hitting a cyclist.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-22111684

"A motorist has been jailed for 10 months following a crash in which a cyclist lost his lower right leg and suffered a serious head injury.
Scaffolder Graham Douglas, 29, of Fort William, was driving at 67mph in a 30mph zone when he collided with Andy MacLeod, 20, in March 2011."

I don't remember this when it happened, I just read about the verdict today. The cyclist seems to be quite some guy who, when asked what his plan was after the accident, said: "To carry on as if nothing has happened.”

Andy-Mcleod-back-on-the-bike-450x365.png

GC

Brandane

Legendary Member
Respect to the victim for seemingly shaking off the loss of a leg and getting on with life.

As for the driver involved; doing 67mph in a 30mph limit, he deserves what he got, and more.

Cycling Dan

Cycle Crazy
Even though we wish a longer sentence the fact they are convicted changes there life in a big way. Mostly because they now have a criminal record which means they can be shunned from society in the terms of employment and other such things. For most employers obtaining a criminal record is a dismissible offence. Clearly People want a short term effect which can be a long jail sentence but this will not go away and will effect most aspects of their lives. Though i would add this as alot of people seem to miss this when im looking at stories such as this.
Although imo 10months is too short.

RiflemanSmith

Have you got a criminal record?
Have you ever been to prison?
I have a criminal record as long as my arm from armed robbery to GBH section 18, I have had an IPP.
I have never been out of work my whole life and never signed on the dole, in fact the only dole money I have ever taken is the one weeks dole money they give you when you are released from prison!
In this country people tend to give you a chance.
Yes you are automatically barred from some jobs and quite rightly so.
I would have liked to been a paramedic but I can't no ones fault apart from my own.

compo

Veteran
I was done for shooting a paedophile so spent time in prison and have a criminal record. It has never, until recently, had any effect on my life or work, and from the Autumn the remaining problems it causes will be removed by the changes to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act. I agree wholeheartedly with RiflemanSmith's comments.

OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
This is the road the Subaru driver was hammering up at nearly 70mph (and the junction where he hit Andy MacLeod): http://goo.gl/maps/hJbK9 Apparently there's a hump in the road which attracts nutters who attempt to get their cars airborne.

GC

RiflemanSmith

If it was me I would chop off his leg and then send him to prison for 4 years.

Top Bottom