Driver Training Course

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

13 rider

Guru
Been on one found much more interesting and informative than I expected not preachy . We did have an interested debate about cyclist . I was sitting there in a cycling top with my pannier and helmet next to me when this idiot kept going on a cyclists jumping red lights . I shut him up with the line it's not like motorist break the law and end up on a driving course is it . As a cyclist I was the only one to know what a smidsy was .

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I have been on one speed awareness course, but also a proper advanced driving course through work. Both were valuable, but the advanced driving course was a real eye opener. Neither were 'preachy' and I learnt some real practical skills on advanced driver course.

mark st1

Plastic Manc
Pretty much my experience.
Got caught not paying attention, 32 in a 30 which means my speedo was probably reading 35, my fault entirely. First offence in something like 35 years, probably more annoying was i know the camera is there.

The experience was similar, maybe 20 people in my case, not naughty boy syndrome in any way, informative, part group work....very good.

They did emphasise at the beginning...MUST have photo ID to prove who you are or please leave now, at which point i messed myself..i have an old paper licence. But they accepted that and another piece of ID. They also stressed if anyone failed to take it seriously, ie became disruptive in any way...they'd be asked to leave immediately, no refund.

I guess the overall experience was take it seriously and they treat you respectfully. Don't...then leave immediately.

32 in a 30 you rebel ! I thought the 10% rule was applied in all speeding cases to give leeway on speedos etc ? Maybe one of the more informed can say @Drago knows his shizzle when it comes to law...

Not sure I'd be so keen to go on one of these courses now as insurance company's seem to lump on your premium even if you don't have points but have attended a speed awareness course. Seemed to be one of the questions last time I was shopping around for quotes.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
I had to take one a few years ago. It seemed to be mostly populated by elderly ladies!

I can't say that I learned anything new, but it certainly jogged my memory and made me think. It's worth doing.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
A well spent morning I thought. Also ended up there for 36 in a 30, first offence in 20 odd years. Learnt some really useful things like why the white lines in the middle of the road are sometimes closer together and stuff.

Drago

Legendary Member
Anyone been on one and can tell me what they are like?

Been offered one, or, a £100 fine and 3 points. Gutted, been driving/riding over 35 years with a clean license, I live on what is the road with the most cameras per mile in the UK, pass at least 12 cameras on my commute, each way, every day and have been caught at 36mph. :sad:
You frenzied speed crazed lunatic! ;)

screenman

Legendary Member
I know many people who have done them and all have come back positive about them, I think drivers who think they would not gain by going on them after being caught should maybe not be on the road.

I would like to see, points, fine and course as a punishment.

screenman

Legendary Member
I will add one thing, I think Mark is very brave for coming on a cycling forum and even mentioning he drives a car let alone got nicked for speeding.

Drago

Legendary Member
I've pulled a few strings to get the speed camera footage.

24c8ff2e89a986ff77b986a1f0dc9f83.jpg

OP
OP
MarkF

MarkF

Guru
I will add one thing, I think Mark is very brave for coming on a cycling forum and even mentioning he drives a car let alone got nicked for speeding.

Ahem, to clarify, I was on my motorbike, smallest capacity bike I've ever had too.:sad: Right where the camera is is where I normally (not on cold/wet days) hurtle past the static traffic on my cycle, like a mad man. ^_^

Julia9054

Guru
Like most people on here, I found mine quite interesting and not at all judge though I felt that the salient points could have been covered in half a day rather than a whole day.
A good cross section of society on mine though there were a couple of van driver idiots who spent the whole day trying to argue that they had done nothing wrong!

gbb

Legendary Member
32 in a 30 you rebel ! I thought the 10% rule was applied in all speeding cases to give leeway on speedos etc ? Maybe one of the more informed can say @Drago knows his shizzle when it comes to law...

Not sure I'd be so keen to go on one of these courses now as insurance company's seem to lump on your premium even if you don't have points but have attended a speed awareness course. Seemed to be one of the questions last time I was shopping around for quotes.
I just looked at the notification letter (I still have it)...it doesn't actually state the speed, merely that I exceeded the limit, so I'm not sure where I got 32 mph from yet it's stuck in my head...perhaps the guys at the awareness course told me,or maybe I'm just remembering it wrong :wacko:.

I looked at the implications on my insurance. At the time they only asked if I'd been convicted of an offence, which I believe I have not. I hope I'm right.

Top Bottom