Drivers Watching Media Players

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Sorry. Let me get something straight. Is it, or is it not the case that the incident in the OP (which we can all agree was a horrific example of driver dereliction yadda yadda which, by the way, only involved cyclists very incidentally - they were van passengers):

(A) was a rare one-off;
(B) happened in a country with very different standards of driving and acceptable behaviour?

I'm all in favour of tough laws where there's a real problem to be solved, but this? This is crazy. Show me the evidence that there's a significant problem and I might start listening. Otherwise you're talking like the worst caricatures of knee-jerk populist politicians imaginable.

srw

Sorry. Let me get something straight. Is it, or is it not the case that the incident in the OP (which we can all agree was a horrific example of driver dereliction yadda yadda which, by the way, only involved cyclists very incidentally - they were van passengers):

(A) was a rare one-off;
(B) happened in a country with very different standards of driving and acceptable behaviour?

I'm all in favour of tough laws where there's a real problem to be solved, but this? This is crazy. Show me the evidence that there's a significant problem and I might start listening. Otherwise you're talking like the worst caricatures of knee-jerk populist politicians imaginable.

DRHysted

Guru
Most front visual media devices are wired to the handbrake, so the driver can not watch Eastenders unless the handbrake is on. This makes it more difficult to watch tv whilst doing 80 on the M1. Of course this can be short circuited.

subaqua

What’s the point
Most front visual media devices are wired to the handbrake, so the driver can not watch Eastenders unless the handbrake is on. This makes it more difficult to watch tv whilst doing 80 on the M1. Of course this can be short circuited.

yup, anything that can be programmed in can be programmed out. especially on CANbus systems

GrasB

Veteran
Forget about the in motion thing, personally I'd like to see a ban on media players which can be seen forwards of front seats. This means that the driver & the passenger they're going to interact with the most can't be watching a things while in the car.

green1

Über Member
Forget about the in motion thing, personally I'd like to see a ban on media players which can be seen forwards of front seats. This means that the driver & the passenger they're going to interact with the most can't be watching a things while in the car.
So what about a system like the one found in Range Rovers where the driver sees a satnav screen from their angle and the passager sees the tv, film or whatever? Would you ban that as well? Would you ban reversing cameras as they'd be a bit pointless without a screen to look at.

subaqua

What’s the point
So what about a system like the one found in Range Rovers wankpanzers where the driver sees a satnav screen from their angle and the passager sees the tv, film or whatever? Would you ban that as well? Would you ban reversing cameras as they'd be a bit pointless without a screen to look at.

FTFY. and yes I agree that that sort of screen is the only one that should be allowed.

green1

Über Member
There are circumstances where a Range Rover is one of the few cars that can do the job. ie anybody who needs proper offroad ability or needs to tow 3 tons of horses around, hence why we have one.

subaqua

What’s the point
There are circumstances where a Range Rover is one of the few cars that can do the job. ie anybody who needs proper offroad ability or needs to tow 3 tons of horses around, hence why we have one.

hire a lorry to move em . :whistle: I have a 4x4 too, i understand the needs . thats why it sits outside the house for most of the time.

GrasB

Veteran
So what about a system like the one found in Range Rovers where the driver sees a satnav screen from their angle and the passager sees the tv, film or whatever? Would you ban that as well? Would you ban reversing cameras as they'd be a bit pointless without a screen to look at.
Yes actually. Social interaction caused by that device may well end up being very distracting.

Reversing cameras don't need the display to be attached to anything which is capable of media playback.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member

The cyclists were not van passengers; they were cycling with a team car in front and the coach's van behind. The truck rammed the van from behind and continued into the line of cyclists.

srw

The cyclists were not van passengers; they were cycling with a team car in front and the coach's van behind. The truck rammed the van from behind and continued into the line of cyclists.
My mistake - but it doesn't actually affect the point of what I was saying.

Top Bottom