Drivetrain Problems

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

potnoodle

Likes bikes and cars.
I seem to be having trouble with the drivetrain on my bike.

It does seem to be slipping every now and again.

I have worked out that it seems to do it on any of the front sprockets and rear gears.

I have clocked up about 2300 mile in the five months that i have had the bike.

I think the problems i am having is with the chain. What do you guys think.

Off out lunch time to get a replacement so i'm hopping its that.

Thanks
Dave

If your chain is stretched it may have also worn the teeth on your cassette and/ or chainring. So it might not be as simple as just replacing the chain.

OP
OP
potnoodle

potnoodle

Likes bikes and cars.
This only started yesterday.
I was in a really high gear and pulled away from the lights and think i may have put to much pressure on it.

I do think i have streched the chain. Seem to jump up and down the gear on the crank too.

HLaB said:
If your chain is stretched it may have also worn the teeth on your cassette and/ or chainring. So it might not be as simple as just replacing the chain.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Hopping around the gears and 'slipping' ? You might simply need to re-index your gears.

Two years ago I went through a spate of gear issues which only occurred on the journey home; in the end I found that some joker was playing with the barrel adjusters on my rear derailleur cable every day. Confirmed it by screwing it all the way one way after chaining the bike up in the morning (counting the turns so I could wind it back to the right position at hometime). When I got to the bike that night, it had been adjusted back towards the middle.

Never did find out who did it, but it eventually stopped.

OP
OP
potnoodle

potnoodle

Likes bikes and cars.
Just bought and changed the chain... Least i'll have a spare if it is a case of reindexing the gears. How do i do that out of interest?#

Thanks
Dave

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
New chain and rear sprockets - 2300 use every day, all weathers - not bad - that's what I get out of mine.

If that doesn't cure it, it could be the freehub !

OP
OP
potnoodle

potnoodle

Likes bikes and cars.
brand new set of wheels on it. Seem to be better on the ride home today.

Got the day of bike riding tomorrow as im going for a beer.

Do tend to ride all weather.

Is that good for the life span of the items?

OP
OP
potnoodle

potnoodle

Likes bikes and cars.
Is stuff not built to last these days.

I have a Downhill bike thats kited out with shimano XTR and dura ace stuff that does not do the sort of miles that i do on my road bike.

I also have another MTB which i bought 12 years ago this has done over 7000 miles and is still on the wheels, chain and cassete.

Top Bottom