Drivetrain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joe22

So I purchased an older mountain bike that I believe has an older drivetrain (see attached photo). During my research I see that the ideal drivetrain is a 1 x 12 and I'd like to make the upgrade. However, I'm not sure how compatible this bike would be with adding 3 more gears to the cassette in the back. I'd like to make the upgrade as I've come to find out that the gears do not hit all gears on the handlebars. For instance the shifters only work on gears 1-5 in the rear and 1-2 on the front.

Is it difficult to make the upgrade to a Shimano Diore that is a 1x12 (especially for the rear)? As I'm a newbie into the mountain bike world I'm looking for some advice as to what I can do with this bike.

Thanks in advance,

Joe

Attachments

• IMG_20210514_153938.jpg
    IMG_20210514_153938.jpg
    178.8 KB · Views: 8
I wouldn’t bother spending xxx in upgrading, instead I would take it to a bike shop for a service for £40-£50 and they can index the gears, maybe reset the cable tension and should be/ will be able to use all of the gears?

boydj

Legendary Member
Why upgrade an old bike - it would be fairly expensive and may not be feasible on your bike, since it would require a new shifter, rear mech, chain, cassette and possibly a rear wheel? This could easily cost more than you paid for the bike.

Being new to mountain biking, you would be better getting your bike serviced so that it works properly and get some experience on it so that you know what you need in your next upgrade or new bike.

DRM

Guru
IMHO budget for a new chain, new cassette, same type as already fitted, new gear cables and outers and some new brake pads, you are going to end up going down a rabbit hole where you will spend far more than you'll ever get for it if you decide you want to replace it with a new bike, then at least you know it'll change gear crisply and properly, and it can stop,
as for upgrades you may find the saddle is a pain in the backside, literally, that is a sensible upgrade, as are tyres more suited to the terrain you intend riding on, then get on it and ride it and learn some MTB skills and enjoy it.
Also if it has an air fork/rear shock you might want to consider buying a shock pump to set the sag on it.

Reactions: C R

Cycleops

Legendary Member
You've been reading too many reviews in MTB magazines and videos on YouTube.
Converting to a 1x set up will leave you with bigger gaps between the gears. Get your current set up working well, it'll be much better.
Cost wise it wouldn't be cheap, those mega range cassettes are around eighty quid alone.

Drago

Legendary Member
What you have may be aged, but it's very high quality and effective. That being the case I'd be inclined to service the bike and enjoy it as is.

1 x 12 is all well and good, but any performance gains will be negligible, and probably unmeasurable. The kit you already have is beyond the ability of most riders to properly exploit to its max, so if you want a performance gain drop some money on a spot of proper tuition, and you'll still have a bit of change left.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You've been reading too many reviews in MTB magazines and videos on YouTube.
Converting to a 1x set up will leave you with bigger gaps between the gears. Get your current set up working well, it'll be much better.
Cost wise it wouldn't be cheap, those mega range cassettes are around eighty quid alone.

And the rest £150 upwards.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You have an XTR rear mech there which is the best you can get ! I'd send some money, as others have said, getting it fixed up. Lots of issues going to 12 speed with an old frame. You'll need a whole groupset for starters. You may have to change the rear whelel too as only a few cassettes fit the 'shimano' standard freehub now (SRAM SX does) as Shimano moved to microspline and SRAM XD to cope with smaller sprockets.

DRM

Guru
What you have may be aged, but it's very high quality and effective. That being the case I'd be inclined to service the bike and enjoy it as is.

1 x 12 is all well and good, but any performance gains will be negligible, and probably unmeasurable. The kit you already have is beyond the ability of most riders to properly exploit to its max, so if you want a performance gain drop some money on a spot of proper tuition, and you'll still have a bit of change left.
It's also ridiculously expensive, Deore cassette £91, SLX £77, CS-HG 201 9 speed £26

D

Deleted member 23692

A 1x12 would be overkill on a bike that old, especially so on 26" wheels. You'd be looking at a new freehub for starters (XD for SRAM or microspline, for Shimano) which would probably end up as a new rear wheel for starters.

A 1x10 would be a far easier and cheaper to update the drive chain and get rid of the nasty 3x front mech. You'd just need a chain ring (32 tooth) , wide range cassette (11-42 tooth) 10 speed rear mech with changer and a new chain... add into a new cable and outer too, and some shorter chainring bolts. You'll be able to reuse your cranks and wheel.

However, before you do that I'd get the suspension serviced as it's probably never been done and getting that seen to will transform the ride quality. But be warned, it's not cheap.

si_c

Guru
The issues with the gears you have presently will likely be solved by a service and replacing the cables, cost about £60 at your local bike shop or £5 if you learn how to do it yourself.

Upgrading to a 1x12 system will cost at minimum £250 assuming that you can even get the parts. Plus fitting from the bike shop. More realistically you won't be able to get wheels to support a 12 speed cassette in a 26" format as there is almost no market for them.

As said above it would be better to service the bike you have now as with XTR already fitted it's got a top end setup right now.

Top Bottom