Driveway Drains

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Where are other drain covers in relation to it?

It'll give an indication of where pipes may be.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
My experience of laying garden drains have shown me that the direction the u-bend points often bears little or no relation to the route of the drain so you will only really know once you start digging. Thankfully the block paving (can't see any granite slabs, just tumbled concrete blocks) should be quite forgiving and will go back down with very little evidence if you have to abort the planned fence post position.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Lift a couple of the slabs where you want to put the post and tentatively dig down to see what is below. I should think that where you want to put the post is far enough away from the drain, but be careful.

Levo-Lon

Guru
You dig the hole, if thers no pipe your fine.
Most drains are 600 mm down so unlikely you'll have any issues.
I cant see any problems as it's a good distances away.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Plan B maybe? Get/make some planter troughs with lattice back fencing. Three advantages are; It can all be freestanding so no need to dig or disturb blocks. It is reversible so if you decide to go back to the large open space in a couple of years it is easy to remove. You get somewhere to plant pretty flowers and brighten the place up.
Disadvantages are; you loose some floorspace due to the larger footprint. You have more garden that needs planting with horrid 'pretty' flowers then requires weeding and watering.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Or you could set 3-4 blocks in mortar and use a metal post holder screwed to the blocks?
It will be pretty solid.
No digging or ground disturbing when you hit it!!

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Similarly, a large base plate under the blocks combined with a post holder would spread the load so you don't have to go so deep.

Top Bottom