Driveway surface..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
An urban driveway, surrounded by houses, tarmac and concrete will have much less organic stuff trying to take root than a suburban driveway with treelined streets and verdant verges flanking everything... maybe that's the difference between those who get away with one application of weed killer a year, and those with drives that need constant attention.

Last edited:

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
Mine was finished last Friday, resin bonded gravel with paviers around the edge. I'm very pleased with it, and we've had lots of people ask who did it for us.

I'll check back in here in five years with an update ☺️

mustang1

Legendary Member
What ever surface you have its all down to the quality of workmanship in putting it down and follow on maintance .
Our tramac has been down 25 ish years .It has never cracked etc . Ok it has lost its colour , but hey it is for standing a car on . Once the cars on it I cannot see it . The said company laid the back yard at the same time . Apart from the odd jet washing over the years it still looks good .
As with all thing you get what you pay for . Ask for details of their work in your area .

What he said: workmamship quality.

We have blocks and have zero weed and zero sinking. It really is as good as the day it was set up.

Caveat: we have maintenance crew who add pathclear, but even so, its very minimal amount of growth (we went without the crew for a couple of years and still no weed).

I’ve got a double width driveway that takes two cars on it and it is tarmaced. It’s about 25 years old now and apart from losing some colour so it’s more grey than black it’s solid, no cracks and no problems with it. It’s on a decline too so the surface water runs off to the sewers. It would be my choice of driveway if I ever had to get one done.

they generally do :whistle:

Never been to Toy Town then, round here most are usually only big enough for one family car or an estate car, perhaps two small cars as most drives are 1 1/2 width which is bloody annoying. Everyone ends up ripping up the front lawn to extend it out to two widths or they park on the path outside the house.

Other common trend is backwards housing with the driveway and garage at the rear and the front of the house on a roadway.

D

Deleted member 26715

As others have said the preparation is everything I did our block paving over 20 years ago over 10 inch of foundation stone wackered on every level. We've had all sorts parked on it including 7.5 tonne horse boxes, it has no 'tramlines' & is rock solid.

Parts of it has been dug up this year by Severn Trent to find a blockage, one of them sunk almost immediately as instead on putting the filling in & wackering each 10 inch they dumped the lot then wackered. They came back, dug it out & did it properly the 2nd time.

We have not had issues with weeds & I HATE gardening

Gunk

Guru
Never been to Toy Town then, round here most are usually only big enough for one family car or an estate car, perhaps two small cars as most drives are 1 1/2 width which is bloody annoying. Everyone ends up ripping up the front lawn to extend it out to two widths or they park on the path outside the house.

Other common trend is backwards housing with the driveway and garage at the rear and the front of the house on a roadway.

Mine is tight for 2 cars, built in the mid 1980’s

BDE7CB94-4EB4-4BE4-935A-153AD2296582.jpeg

JhnBssll

Veteran
We can just about fit 2 cars on the new front drive and we can fit another 2 on the original rear drive. We tend to just leave one at the front where the van is in the photo as its a bit of a faff getting the second one on!

20211219_142848.jpg

My DIY block paving has held up well for the first 6 months, here's hoping it continues to do so :laugh: There are a few weeds popping up where the water runs off from the sprinkler system so I'll be putting down some path clear in the near future :okay:

JhnBssll

Veteran
How are you getting on with the Tesla @JhnBssll ?

Really well, brilliant car. A few silly niggles but the overall package is phenomenal. It's only done a little over 5k miles but I've enjoyed every one of them so far :smile:

The van is also doing me proud, it flew through an MOT recently and gets used at least once a week for one reason or another :smile:

D

Deleted member 26715

We've got 3 cars on our drive, at the moment.

I wish that was all I had, currently there is the son's BMW 3 series drift car, bearing in mind he doesn't live here, my MEV Exocet kitcar which I'm trying to sell, my MEV Mevster kitcar which I am keeping, my wife's Rav4 our daily driving car, an Ifor Williams horsebox trailer, my Shogun which primary used is to tow previous mentioned drift car & horsebox trailer, then a newly arrived today a Lister Petter ST2W narrowboat engine.

keithmac

Guru
I wish that was all I had, currently there is the son's BMW 3 series drift car, bearing in mind he doesn't live here, my MEV Exocet kitcar which I'm trying to sell, my MEV Mevster kitcar which I am keeping, my wife's Rav4 our daily driving car, an Ifor Williams horsebox trailer, my Shogun which primary used is to tow previous mentioned drift car & horsebox trailer, then a newly arrived today a Lister Petter ST2W narrowboat engine.

We nearly had Caravan on there as well but decided storage was a better option for that.

Top Bottom