Driving fast is worse than carrying a knife

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbb

Legendary Member
I think the heading should read 'driving ridiculously, recklessly fast'..

Brandane

Legendary Member
Seriously? Does he not think that a car can cause carnage at perfectly legal speeds? The comparison with carrying a knife is nonsensical. Unless I am missing something further on in the article - but I'm not signing up to find out.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
It’s behind a paywall, but from reading the small section available I agree with @gbb.

Some people driver like idiots, and deserve much stiffer penalties but doing 80mph on the motorway is hardly a serious offence.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
You see i always though it was the thrusting action of a knife in the general direction of another person that is deadly... :scratch:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
You see i always though it was the thrusting action of a knife in the general direction of another person that is deadly... :scratch:
Yes but, the way some people drive they may as well walk down the pavement blindfolded while randomly and erratically thrusting a knife out in front of them.

It is only because people usually see them coming that lots more people don't get hurt.

Out and about at the weekend, I was on a wide straight road, that had a 40 mph speed limit, yet the narrow, twisty side roads were posted with national speed limit signs, when you'd be lucky (or foolish) to be able to get anywhere near that speed on them.

The main road had a camera van on it. Vehicles caught exceeding the 40 mph on that road, are far less dangerous than vehicles going under the speed limit on the side roads.

It's inappropriate speed that kills.

Drago

Legendary Member
No. Any speed can kill. A stationary car cannot run anyone over, only a car in motion.

Hit someone at 30 outside a school and it'll do just as much damage as hitting someone at 30 on the hard shoulder. Kinetic energy doesn't give a sheet about this abstract concept of 'appropriateness'

No. Any speed can kill. A stationary car cannot run anyone over, only a car in motion.

Hit someone at 30 outside a school and it'll do just as much damage as hitting someone at 30 on the hard shoulder. Kinetic energy doesn't give a sheet about this abstract concept of 'appropriateness'

Fair point, poor phrasing on my part. The point I was trying to make is more associated with risk or likelihood I suppose.

davidphilips

Veteran
After reading the section available think the police chief was comparing the man driving at 163 mph and punishment was a mere six-month driving ban and a fine, plus costs of £1,886 and perhaps the punishment given to some one who was caught with a knife?

Reactions: C R
D

Deleted member 26715

It's inappropriate speed that kills.
Correct
Disagree, it's all about the appropriate/inappropriate speed, it could well be the 0mph is the appropriate speed & 1mph is inappropriate, speed rarely kills, it's the car/driver that does that.

Knife Crime! So many young lives lost in the inner cities on a frequent basis. Zombie knives freely carried despite its size. Police restrained from carrying out checks because Allegra from Cotsworld feels its politically incorrect to do searches on profiles.

Wish he picked a better analogy.

As usual, the journalists have distorted the content of the article in order to create a controversial clickbait headline.

The senior police officer in question does not refer to "driving fast"; he refers to "extreme speed" and gives the example of someone caught doing 163mph on the M1.

Top Bottom