Driving lessons/driving test during lockdown

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Like many things that you don't think about until it affects you or someone close to you.
Grandson has got a job. Its for an environmental outfit/company which is great as that is his passion and what he went to Uni for.
Problem is he needs a driving licence which he doesn't have :sad:.
TBF they have given him the job AND 6 months grace to pass his test.......BUT with driving instructors and testers under lockdown that causes serious problems.
I imagine others have similar problems.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
My grandsons test was put back until Feb. It's now been put back again until March.

There is no point in applying for any jobs or apprenticeships as round here a driving licence is needed.

lane

Veteran
I started teaching my Son to drive a few months ago and had some lessons booked for him. Lessons cancelled obviously. But am not at all clear if I can still teach him or not. I did see that I am not allowed and insurance invalid and also that I can let him drive only if I need to go somewhere on an essential journey so not sure of the definitive advice regarding what I can and can't do.

lane

Veteran
Like many things that you don't think about until it affects you or someone close to you.
Grandson has got a job. Its for an environmental outfit/company which is great as that is his passion and what he went to Uni for.
Problem is he needs a driving licence which he doesn't have :sad:.
TBF they have given him the job AND 6 months grace to pass his test.......BUT with driving instructors and testers under lockdown that causes serious problems.
I imagine others have similar problems.

I think the employer would have to allow some latitude in the circumstances.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
In our area, driving lessons still appear to happening. We live near a test route, and, there is still evidence of learners out practicing with instructors, suitably masked of course. Don't know about actual Driving Tests.

johnblack

Über Member
I started teaching my Son to drive a few months ago and had some lessons booked for him. Lessons cancelled obviously. But am not at all clear if I can still teach him or not. I did see that I am not allowed and insurance invalid and also that I can let him drive only if I need to go somewhere on an essential journey so not sure of the definitive advice regarding what I can and can't do.
As far as I was aware, you are not allowed to take out a learner at all presently.

johnblack

Über Member
Luckily my daughter started lessons in July and passed in December. Her test was March 21 but she got an app which gave her notifications when earlier tests became available. In the November lockdown lessons were cancelled but you could still do private lessons, that's not the same rules with this lockdown.

Loads of her friends have had tests cancelled, some pushed out to March, April and others have to re-book, but I'm not sure if they are taking bookings at the minute? There is going to be a big backlog and I suppose they'll fit in the cancelled tests before they add new ones.

I'd have thought any decent employer would give him a bit of leeway, as long as he was well into lessons with a test booked in six months. Or maybe he could do one of those intensive courses where you learn to drive and take your test at the end of a week when they're running again, not cheap but worth it for a good job.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
There are still lessons and tests taking place, but only for key workers who need to drive for their job.

If this lockdown had happened twenty years ago I'd have been in serious trouble. Both of us were ADIs, still had a mortgage (Albeit a small one), cars on finance and all the usual business and household expenses. Up to now the total time lost out of the last year has been about six months and on top of everything else the tax bills for the previous year had to be settled just over a week ago. There will be more than a few going under because of this.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
I am happy to be corrected but unless a job where you actually drove a vehicle, truck driver, taxi drivers etc needed a driving licence I didn't think they could insist as public transport etc is a possibility. My new job insisted I had I driving licence, I do but said I had chosen not to for environmental reasons and can still do what I need to do by cycle and or public transport.

My daughter has had her theory cancelled 3 times during the various lockdowns.
There are still lessons and tests taking place, but only for key workers who need to drive for their job.

She's a TA in a primary school and at work for the vulnerable and essential worker's kids, She's looked on line for tests but it's greyed out?

Also her instructor just said no lessons until lockdown is eased.

Might look into it a bit closer.

johnblack

Über Member

If this lockdown had happened twenty years ago I'd have been in serious trouble. Both of us were ADIs, still had a mortgage (Albeit a small one), cars on finance and all the usual business and household expenses. Up to now the total time lost out of the last year has been about six months and on top of everything else the tax bills for the previous year had to be settled just over a week ago. There will be more than a few going under because of this.
I've had some recent involvement in the sector and I think the hope is for an April start up, there is a great deal of pent up demand, but only so many hours in the day and margin for a franchisee is very tight. I think there will be alot out working 7 days a week.

lane

Veteran
In our area, driving lessons still appear to happening. We live near a test route, and, there is still evidence of learners out practicing with instructors, suitably masked of course. Don't know about actual Driving Tests.
As far as I was aware, you are not allowed to take out a learner at all presently.

I have just looked and seen something on Feb 2nd that says you can s park of an essential journey, but seems a lot of confusions about it. Can't afford to get it wrong due to insurance.

lane

Veteran
I've had some recent involvement in the sector and I think the hope is for an April start up, there is a great deal of pent up demand, but only so many hours in the day and margin for a franchisee is very tight. I think there will be alot out working 7 days a week.

More convenient to learn in the spring. Was finding it hard to fit in lessons and bike rides in the few daylight hours! Plus with the ice and snow. In the spring will be able to take him out in the evenings. I need to cancel the insurance though.

Julia9054

Guru
My daughter has had her theory cancelled 3 times during the various lockdowns.

She's a TA in a primary school and at work for the vulnerable and essential worker's kids, She's looked on line for tests but it's greyed out?

Also her instructor just said no lessons until lockdown is eased.

Might look into it a bit closer.
It’s not essential that she drives for her job though. Convenient for her obviously but not essential as she doesn’t need to go between sites or deliver stuff

Top Bottom