Driving lessons/driving test during lockdown

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
I'd have thought any decent employer would give him a bit of leeway, as long as he was well into lessons with a test booked in six months. Or maybe he could do one of those intensive courses where you learn to drive and take your test at the end of a week when they're running again, not cheap but worth it for a good job.
He has not had any lessons.
I would gladly pay for a weeks intensive course but nothing is possible with this lockdown.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I was reading an ADI blogging about this recently, he was saying it's a bit of a perfect storm in driver training and that new students starting now won't get a licence for at least six months, and maybe up to a year. One of the difficulties (and I'd not considered this) is that ADIs themselves have to be assessed and requalify, but they've been having trouble with that because the assessors themselves have been affected by illness, self isolating etc, just like all sectors. In other words the trainers need testing too.
So you have less qualified instructors than normal to tackle the backlog of demand from students wanting lessons. And then you have a backlog of tests on top of that, from everyone who's in the queue or the driving instruction pipeline already.
I'll try to dig out the blog.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Another problem for some is.......they have passed the theory and then lock down bit. They only have so long to take the practical before the theory pass becomes invalid.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Another problem for some is.......they have passed the theory and then lock down bit. They only have so long to take the practical before the theory pass becomes invalid.
Ad going by what I've read on a motorcycle forum there is no leeway on the two year limit that applies to theory tests before the practical has to be passed.

johnblack

Über Member
I was reading an ADI blogging about this recently, he was saying it's a bit of a perfect storm in driver training and that new students starting now won't get a licence for at least six months, and maybe up to a year. One of the difficulties (and I'd not considered this) is that ADIs themselves have to be assessed and requalify, but they've been having trouble with that because the assessors themselves have been affected by illness, self isolating etc, just like all sectors. In other words the trainers need testing too.
So you have less qualified instructors than normal to tackle the backlog of demand from students wanting lessons. And then you have a backlog of tests on top of that, from everyone who's in the queue or the driving instruction pipeline already.
I'll try to dig out the blog.
There is also naturally a fairly large turnover of franchisee holders, as it is vey difficult for a newly qualified tutor to make it pay, lots don't do more than a year, and in the current circumstances, having to continue to pay franchise fees with no income means that many just hand the keys back. There will be a pool of new franchises holders waiting to take over as a lot of these come from people made redundant and investing redundancy money into the course, but as you mention, they can't get straight out there and teach.

Julia9054

Guru
Many years ago I blagged a job interview for a job where a driving licence was an essential requirement. There was no box to tick asking if I had one. I must have come across very relaxed and confident at interview because I knew it would come up at some point and that would be me out the door.
They offered me the job with the condition that I passed my test within the month.
Fortunately I did but that was some pressure!

vickster

Legendary Member

Top Bottom