Driving licence expiry

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Over the weekend I was trying to find my driving licence. It does not get much use, my memory can be like a sieve, and it was not in the obvious places. Anyway I have now found it, but have noted it expires next year. Worth checking as the photo card expires every 10 years. Could have been driving without a valid licence next year had I not noticed.

Drago

Legendary Member
Well worth checking. It's still valid in the sense that you don't commit a motoring offence (because you're still "entitled to hold" after having passed your test), but its administratively invalid and the DVLA can hand out some expensive penalties over it.

Good call.

Sharky

Guru
Can you remind me again this time next year please. My licence runs out in Feb 2020 when I am 70 and have to reapply. Presume in this case I would be driving illegally if I didn't re-apply.

Only seems like yesterday when I got my first licence!

subaqua

What’s the point
I'm sure I got a reminder from DVLA when my last ten year period was coming to an end.

You do . And if you are posting here you have an email address that can be used on the Govt Gateway for this sort of thing. MOT , VED , licence . You can even use the calendar function on a PC , smartphone , dumbphone etc to remind you about insurances etc

D

Deleted member 1258

I'm sure I got a reminder from DVLA when my last ten year period was coming to an end.

Yes I got reminded when I needed a new photo, the licence itself runs out in three years time when I'm 70, and I'm sure they send out a reminder letter.

Brains

Legendary Member
I still have my original green paper licence.

As I needed a tacho licence a few years ago they automatically also gave me a (free) 10 year driving licence.
(My understanding is normally you have to surrender the original green licence and then pay £10 to get a new photo ID/10 years licence)

So on the assumption I don't move home in the next decade will my original green licence remain valid ?

Top Bottom