Driving licence revoked

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

col

Legendary Member
There has been a couple of heart attacks,mild i might add,to colleagues,over the years,and if memory serves,which it sometimes doesnt,it was an automatic suspension from driving(on sick leave),and the licence too by dvla for 12 months, i think it was.Just in case any further episode happened,not good on a bus.

OP
OP
V

vbc

Thanks to User for his considered opinion.

Just to give a little more detail regarding my gripe.

According to this particular extract from Netdoctor (at http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/diseases/facts/epilepsy.htm) "To hold a civilian driving licence in the UK you need to have been seizure-free for 12 months, or only had seizures at night while asleep."

To the best of my knowledge, I have not had a seizure during the last 12 months if ever at all. I certainly have not been given any information about a seizure or any evidence of epilepsy during my hospitalisation. I have had no treatment, medication or specific examination for seizures since my accident. In fact, I was repeatedly told that I'd made such rapid recovery after my accident and I was able to be discharged after 8 weeks rather than the initially expected 4 to 6 months.

While I understand the need to protect the public from the risk presented by medically unfit drivers, I suggest that the risk of me having a seizure while in charge of a motor vehicle over the next 7 months is negligible and that I am currently fit to drive.

However, the DVLA has made a decision and I guess that I can live with it. Fortunately, I don't need a driving licence for my job or to transport a sick or invalid relative, I don't live out in the wilds with only one bus service a day and I am able to walk and cycle.

OP
OP
V

vbc

User, point taken.

My issue is mostly with how the decision has been taken. The consultant neurosurgeon who skilfully put me back together after my accident has only briefly examined me since my surgery I believe. The DVLA addressed their medical questionnaire to him but he delegated it to a junior surgeon who had not seen me. I have not had a specific examination under the auspices of the DVLA drivers medical group to establish my current health condition so their decision I feel is based on inadequate information.

Anyway, I just have to swallow my pride and get by without driving for another 7 months. So be it.

classic33

Leg End Member
vbc said:
Thanks for the link also classic33, it does seem that the judgement has been quite harsh but may be based on a report from the hospital.

Sorry for the question. I couldn't work out why they told you & not the other way round.
Drew the conclusion that you had a fit as a result of head injury. One fit, due to injury, does not mean you are a greater risk than anyone else.

Top Bottom