Driving to work sucks. Period.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just for the showering I wish my commute was the other way around, but unfortunately its a big sweaty climb in the morning. The recent cold mornings help though and sun rising as I reach the top the last couple of weeks makes it worth it. I'll miss it on Monday.
On the way back yesterday I discovered theres nearly a 2 mile section where I could travel without pedalling.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
I like driving to work. I can potter along in relative safety listening to the radio then go straight in without spending half an hour showering and getting ready. The journey for me only takes 20 minutes max, but I guess this maybe different for others who may have different routes and distances to travel. Each to their own I s'pose,

+1

I actually enjoy my drive into work. Radio Four at 07:20 is enjoyable. Traffic levels are reasonable and stress levels are low. My route to work is uphill for most of the way with some dips and level bits to ameliorate the energy demands. I estimate that it would take me twice as long to cycle in as is does to drive in.

It's all well and good comparing journey times but if you factor in showering and getting ready for work and, in reverse showering after getting home, the time disadvantage of cycling in to work for me gets even bigger.

Next year I will be looking at cycling into work twice a week but only as part of a fitness improvement program. There's no other incentive powerful enough to make me consider making cycle commuting the norm.

Mozzy

I still shower when I get into work (unless both showers are,in use. (2 showers for 200 people!)

That is disgusting!!!! Should be one shower per two people, areas to dry clothes, comfy chairs to read newspaper after shower with fresh coffee, tumble D's to dry any wet clothing, and so on. Bloody employers … useless!!!

Mozzy

400bhp

Guru
I like driving to work. I can potter along in relative safety listening to the radio then go straight in without spending half an hour showering and getting ready. The journey for me only takes 20 minutes max, but I guess this maybe different for others who may have different routes and distances to travel. Each to their own I s'pose,

MTFU

Jezston

Über Member
I still shower when I get into work (unless both showers are,in use. (2 showers for 200 people!)

You're lucky - we have 2 showers for 300+ people.

And one of the showers, which was installed about six months ago, has never actually worked. And management have no interest in fixing it.

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
....... took 45 mins through Flipping gridlocked Doncaster.
11.5 miles, ..........

I remember well the Doncaster grid lock to get over the new North Bridge from halfway down Church Way/Netherhall Road.

I used to work in Adwick and drove the 12 miles, 20 mins, via Thorpe Marsh but when the road was closed due to flooding (regular every couple of years) I had 2 choices: a) short distance through town over North Bridge and up York Road; or b) long drive along M18 then up A1(M) to Red House. b) Saved me about 1/2 hour stuck in traffic but I felt that neither were a cycling option
cool.gif

dodgy

I see the site is getting more US visitors, which is nice.

Twanger

Über Member
Too much washing weakens the body and the immune system, and also leads to excessive immorality and lust. There is no reason to keep bathing as if you were in a Turkish harem. Athletic sweat is not particularly pungent. Towel it off!
:biggrin:

Hip Priest

Veteran
Getting the bus to work sucks. Period. Especially if it's your own fault for padlocking both your bikes in the garage with your keys. Period.

Ashaman42

Über Member
Well there's no way I could cycle in without sweating so I don't worry about taking it easy. And alas we have no shower but so baby wipes and getting changed into clean clothes seem to be doing a sufficient job.

I've had no complaints at any rate though that could just be people being polite.

Top Bottom