Driving with no licence and no insurance.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

presta

Guru
A friend of my parents got his licence driving tanks in the army, they reckoned he drove his Mini like a tank.

A police spokesman on the Jeremy Vine show has just said that they turn their ANPR off so they can get some work done, otherwise it just goes ping ping ping all day long.

Jody

Stubborn git
Different to just not having a licence, but many HGV drivers didn't need a licence to drive a truck. Grandfather Rights, it was called.
I would think nearly all of these people are retired by now.

The youngest of people to have grandfather rights are only just in their 40's. It wasn't removed until 1998

oldwheels

Legendary Member
A woman from southern England came to Mull to do a driving test recently as she thought it would be dead easy. We only have one set of temporary traffic lights on a street to keep single file traffic on a bit which could collapse due to being undercut. They are in fact probably permanent until the roadway does collapse. We also have a bit of dual carriageway a few hundred yards long.
She failed.:laugh:

Toe Clip

I still have my little red driving licence. Went to the local Town Hall after passing my test and it was issued there and then. For some reason I had two one for the car and one for the motorcycle. Perhaps because they could only fit one handwritten sticker in each little book.

Brandane

Legendary Member
I still have grandfather rights to drive 7.5t HGV's. Doesn't cover me for Class 1 though without an additional test
TWO additional tests... You would need to pass class 2 (non articulated HGV's) first, then class 1 (articulated). Or did they actually get round to scrapping the class 2 test because of the driver "shortage" (??) as they were threatening to do? If so, I would like a refund of the approximately £1000 it cost me to sit a now unnecessary course and test in 2005!

Jody

Stubborn git
Wasn't sure about the specifics of piloting class1/2

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
The youngest of people to have grandfather rights are only just in their 40's. It wasn't removed until 1998
The Grandfather Rights I knew of were when HGV classifications came in. Anyone driving a truck got one of whatever type they wanted.. What was the one that ran out in 1998? Agricultural?

Top Bottom