drop bar bikes and access to brakes...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Tynan said:
drops is exactly where you don't want to be when filtering and/or approaching dangerous sections though surely?

It's where I am doing those things... A lot depends on your setup. As I've said before, I think I probably have my bars higher than most on here (tops level with saddle nose) but I find visibility isn't a problem... I guess it could depend on how comfortable you are keeping your head facing forward whilst crouched over - I don't find it a problem myself.

Regarding the braking power from the hoods, a lot depends on the design of lever, I think. Modern levers seem to have far better hoods (to me) in terms of the angle between where your hand lies and the lever is underneath - I reckon the leverage would allow a far greater pull from the hoods than my older road bike would. Dual pivot brakes also make a fair difference, as generally they travel less far (than my old single pivots) to contact the rim, meaning less pull to contact, and then to beginning to brake.

wafflycat

I have absolutely no problem stopping quickly when required on my bikes that have drop bars. One bike has cantis, the other pivot - I have no problems with either set-up. And I'm a girlie with no strength in the upper body, so if I can ride a bike with drop bars in traffic, I'd bet pretty much anyone can. Indeed I do not willingly go back to using flat bars - as there's just so many more hand positions avaiable on drops, they are more comfortable. What is this myth put about that brakes/drop bars are not effective in traffic? And why?!

wafflycat

Tynan said:
goody

drops is exactly where you don't want to be when filtering and/or approaching dangerous sections though surely?

(that's a genuine question, I don't know)

That's the advantage of drop bars - you have a choice of where you put your hands which means greater comfort, especially on longer rides. Just becasue a bike has drop bars you don't have to ride on the drops all the time you know :sad:

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
wafflycat said:
What is this myth put about that brakes/drop bars are not effective in traffic? And why?!
It's probably a popular misconception of people like me who have little or no experience of riding dropbars...it doesn't look like you can apply much force to the brakes when you consider the hand position on the hoods.

Maz said:
It's probably a popular misconception of people like me who have little or no experience of riding dropbars...it doesn't look like you can apply much force to the brakes when you consider the hand position on the hoods.

It is indeed a popular misconception, as me being able to pull a stoppie from on the hoods demonstrates!

Tynan said:
goody

(that's a genuine question, I don't know)

Drops are exactly where you do want to be when filtering at speed or approaching dangerous situations. In the drops you have the lowest CofG out of the hand positions, and are able to manouver the bike most effectively, not to mention that in the drops is the place that you can get max braking power.

If you are unable to look forwards when in the drops there is something very wrong with your bike setup.

Tynan

Veteran
yes yes

I was thinking about line of sight, low head means a smaller field of vision I'd have thought?

U

User482

Personally, I think that dual-pivots are fine in the dry, but a bit scary in the wet, even with good quality blocks. When riding in the wet, I tend to drag the brakes lightly when getting near to danger points so that braking is sharp if I need it. I do prefer v-brakes & discs, but having only used them on mtbs, I'm not sure how suitable they'd be for a road bike.

twowheelsgood

If some sales cretin trys to put you off by saying "drop bars have limited forward visibility, they aren't good for commuting" what they mean is "most POBs don't believe me when I say they are just as good, if not better than flat bars for commuting."

Err, sorry, you may call me a cretin if you wish but while riding at low speed or in traffic you have the hands in the optimal place on a flat-bar bike for braking, whereas you don't on a drop bar bike, you generally move from the top or cover and brake on the hoods, which is possible but not optimal.

Therefore for commuting a flar bar bike is generally better, especially for inexperienced or casual cyclists and you are wrong to assert what you did in the last sentence. Nothing to do with visibility. A less experienced cyclist is less likely to make use of drops as they are intended, period.

I generally commute on drops saying that but that's open roads and paths, in stop-start traffic I much prefer flats.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
twowheelsgood said:
I
Err, sorry, you may call me a cretin if you wish but while riding at low speed or in traffic you have the hands in the optimal place on a flat-bar bike for braking, whereas you don't on a drop bar bike, you generally move from the top or cover and brake on the hoods, which is possible but not optimal.

Therefore for commuting a flar bar bike is generally better, especially for inexperienced or casual cyclists and you are wrong to assert what you did in the last sentence. Nothing to do with visibility. A less experienced cyclist is less likely to make use of drops as they are intended, period.

I dunno - my experience contradicts that - I use the hoods very infrequently, and hadn't cycled anything other than flat bar bikes (on holidays, and the odd trip to the shops) prior to beginning to commute to work.

Maz - I think the keys are;

1) the design of the hoods - some allow a lot of leverage to be applied to the brake lever with the hand on the hoods rather than the drops.

2) how you feel riding in both positions (on hoods, and on drops)

I reckon this is one instance where a proper test ride is a must for you, myself.

twowheelsgood said:
If some sales cretin trys to put you off by saying "drop bars have limited forward visibility, they aren't good for commuting" what they mean is "most POBs don't believe me when I say they are just as good, if not better than flat bars for commuting."

I generally commute on drops saying that but that's open roads and paths, in stop-start traffic I much prefer flats.

The tops and the flats of drop bars should not be used unless the road ahead is clear, and sight is good. With the riders hands in these two positions, they do not have immidiate access to the brakes, which is why most cycling clubs and organised group rides stress that these hand positions are not to be used when travelling in close proximity with other riders.

The tops are most appropriatly used for spoiling a headwind for riders behind you, and for in the saddle climbing. The flats are most appropriate for fast cruising, especially over bumpy or winding roads. The rider must be aware that they are unable to reach the brakes immidiately, and so must take this into account when placing their hands in either of these two positions.

That means that the tops and flats are innapropriate for most city commuting situations, leaving the rider to choose between the hoods and the drops - where access to brakes is natural and unrestricted.

I take your point about inexperienced cyclists, but IME with inexperienced cyclists using a drop bar bike, they are very reluctant to move their hands away from the brake anyway.

I personally believe drop bars to be perfect commuting bars - they allow a number of different hand positions, they are very narrow and they allow a more aerodynamic positon.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Jacomus-rides-Gen said:
I personally believe drop bars to be perfect commuting bars - they allow a number of different hand positions, they are very narrow and they allow a more aerodynamic positon.

That last point is certainly significant in a headwind, in my experience- it still doesn't feel easy as such, but it feels a sight easier than on flats!

(Top info, btw, Jacomus).

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Jacomus-rides-Gen said:

I totally agree, and great rest of the post too!!

Top Bottom