Drop Bar Brifters On Flat Bars (Hypothetically)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chislenko

Veteran
So, anybody ever successfully done this or seen it in action?

Most of my winter riding is casual, not head down record breaking, so was thinking of putting my winter bike back to flat bar for next year. I do have flat bar shifters so not a problem (other than having to renew all the inner cables)

But it got me thinking why couldn't the drop bar Brifters just be put on the flat bars. If they were mounted in such a way that the lever was parallel to the bars the brake lever would be just in front of the bars for ease of braking and it would be push down as opposed to push in to change gear.

Just wondering if anybody had ever seen such a set up in action?

Sharky

Guru
The drop bar levers would hit the handlebars before engaging. They need the curved section of the drop bars to function poroperly.
Might work with some bull bars or TT bars if they have the curved section in the right place.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chislenko

Chislenko

Veteran
The drop bar levers would hit the handlebars before engaging. They need the curved section of the drop bars to function poroperly.
Might work with some bull bars or TT bikes if they have the curved section in the right place.

Yes, I suppose there is only one way to find out really and that is to try it.

I have the flat bar shifters as a fall back.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
obree did a home brew with sti units on a flat bar
1670098558759.png

soma gullwing bars are designed for what your after
1670098643978.png

OP
OP
Chislenko

Chislenko

Veteran
obree did a home brew with sti units on a flat bar
View attachment 670023

soma gullwing bars are designed for what your after
View attachment 670024

Excellent detective work cyberknight. Illustration number 2 best shows the bars I have.

I will give it a go next spring when I retire the winter bike and change to the summer bike.

I have two chances, it will either work or it won't! And if it doesn't I will fit the flat bar shifters I have along with new inner cables.

Reactions: C R

C R

Guru
Excellent detective work cyberknight. Illustration number 2 best shows the bars I have.

I will give it a go next spring when I retire the winter bike and change to the summer bike.

I have two chances, it will either work or it won't! And if it doesn't I will fit the flat bar shifters I have along with new inner cables.

Other than there not being enough travel for braking, the throw of the left hand shifter to go to the larger ring may be awkward.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
While it can be done with the right shape of bar, I'd have to ask why?
Flat bar levers are less complex and cheaper - I'd use those, myself.

Reactions: C R
Top Bottom