drop bars brakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chipmonster

got a cluad butler strada, with straight bars but most of u recommend the drops.

if i went for the drops, i want the brakes to be on the flat and the curly section, sorry not sure on the exact terms.

Would u recommend this on a racing bike?

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
So you want to have drop bars, but with the brakes on the flats? May i ask why? There relly is no need. Try out a drop bar bike with the brakes in the normal place. You will have no problem with then, and find that they are just as good, or better then where you want them.
Also, normally when you get out the saddle you will hold the hoods on the brakes to grip, and not the handlebar.
The good thing with road brake levers is that you can reach them from different hand positions, when your on the hoods and when your on the drops. With the brakes on the flats, you will only be able to reach them from the flats. You will end up riding on the flats more so then the need for drop bars pretty much goes.
You will also have to put the gear shifters on the bar ends i would think? You might find that annoying, and if you give a bike with STI shifters a ride, you will find the postioning of the brakes better and being able to change gear from the drops and the hoods makes it better.
You will get used to riding on the drops aswell, and when you are decending and need to brake and turn, having the brakes in reach from the drops is better and safer.
So basicly, you can do it, but i personally see it as being pointless. You will get used to the brakes and where they are, then will feel more confident using different hand positions on the bike.
Go test a bike with drop bars and you will find out how much better it will be then flats, and how the brake levers are positioned better.

RedBike

You can just add a set of these to the flat bits of the bar. Your existing drop bar brakes / gear will still work.

It's going to cost you a fortune to change the gearing over, fit new brakes etc. Perhaps you would be better off with a different bike?

OP
OP
C

chipmonster

Cool, you have convinced me, its going to be a normal drop.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Joe24 said:
So you want to have drop bars, but with the brakes on the flats? May i ask why? There relly is no need. Try out a drop bar bike with the brakes in the normal place. You will have no problem with then, and find that they are just as good, or better then where you want them.
Also, normally when you get out the saddle you will hold the hoods on the brakes to grip, and not the handlebar.
The good thing with road brake levers is that you can reach them from different hand positions, when your on the hoods and when your on the drops. With the brakes on the flats, you will only be able to reach them from the flats. You will end up riding on the flats more so then the need for drop bars pretty much goes.
You will also have to put the gear shifters on the bar ends i would think? You might find that annoying, and if you give a bike with STI shifters a ride, you will find the postioning of the brakes better and being able to change gear from the drops and the hoods makes it better.
You will get used to riding on the drops aswell, and when you are decending and need to brake and turn, having the brakes in reach from the drops is better and safer.
So basicly, you can do it, but i personally see it as being pointless. You will get used to the brakes and where they are, then will feel more confident using different hand positions on the bike.
Go test a bike with drop bars and you will find out how much better it will be then flats, and how the brake levers are positioned better.

boybiker

Guru
RedBike said:
You can just add a set of these to the flat bits of the bar. Your existing drop bar brakes / gear will still work.

It's going to cost you a fortune to change the gearing over, fit new brakes etc. Perhaps you would be better off with a different bike?

I have them and they helped me gain confidence while i was getting use to the drops !

shimano

'scuse me folks but my old racer with drop bars when I was a lad had levers that operated from the flat too. They pivoted from the same point as the standard brake lever, pressing down on the top of lever itself under the hood with the hand lever running horizontal and parallel to the flat of the bar.

look at the handlebar pic on ebay item 160260972140

I'm sorry shimano but ISO 9005 officially certifies those kind of levers as shoot, grade 4.

I had them on a racer as a teen, too much flex and single pivot brakes, absolute rubbish compared to a modern dual pivot.

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
+ 1 with Cheadle Hulme. Sorry Shim.
The integrated top levers are just too floppy to be any use.

I'm back to riding with drops after some 15 years with flat bars.
I found the transition alarming at first but, rest assured, it does become second nature.:biggrin:

Most of the time I ride on the hoods and so the brakes are within easy reach.
One other thing you might want to try is to rotate the drops upwards a 'smidge' so the hoods are that little bit higher and again easier to reach.

I had they levers on my racer too as a kid although IMO they were a good idea in theory,they were terrible in practice; they were part of the reason I was put off drops for so many years. However when I tried modern drops the brakes were great night & day compared to them, if I buy another bike it'll certainly have drops too.

My experience of drops is similar to tdr1nka.

bigjim

Legendary Member
I had they levers on my racer too as a kid although IMO they were a good idea in theory,they were terrible in practice;
Don't agree. I have a mint condition Raleigh with these fitted and they are great around town. Don't see a problem if they are set up correctly. Mine work fine.

Jim.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
shimano said:
'scuse me folks but my old racer with drop bars when I was a lad had levers that operated from the flat too. They pivoted from the same point as the standard brake lever, pressing down on the top of lever itself under the hood with the hand lever running horizontal and parallel to the flat of the bar.

look at the handlebar pic on ebay item 160260972140

Yes i had these too when I was a nipper. I believe they are called "suicide levers" :biggrin:

Top Bottom