Dropped Bike - wonky hood.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

grellboy

Über Member
Bike got blown over today. Landed on right handlebar. When I picked it up, hood was turned in somewhat. Still functions as it did before, but looks rather unsightly. Anyone know how I get it back to normal? I would whack it but don't want to weaken it if that is a possibility. I have attached some photos - one of the which is the left side to show what the other one should look like.

Attachments

• 20181129_184755.jpg
    20181129_184755.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 61
  • 20181129_183857.jpg
    20181129_183857.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 44
  • 20181129_183855.jpg
    20181129_183855.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 47
U

User6179

Pull the rubber hood up and loosen bolt.

Oldfentiger

Veteran
I'm pretty sure that when the hoods are correctly torqued it is not too tight to stop the hood turning in the event of an impact as the hood moving can stop other damage happening to it. I just bash it back into place with my hand when it happens to me..

Agree with this.
I originally learned this when riding trials motorbikes. If the levers can move in the event of a fall, it saves having a broken lever. Just knock back in line and crack on.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Agree with this.
I originally learned this when riding trials motorbikes. If the levers can move in the event of a fall, it saves having a broken lever. Just knock back in line and crack on.
Never thought of it this way, but i prefer to know my shifters are secured tightly when they are all that i have to grip and control the bike with when hooning around and getting air on my drop bar bikes! :eek:

Oldfentiger

Veteran
Never thought of it this way, but i prefer to know my shifters are secured tightly when they are all that i have to grip and control the bike with when hooning around and getting air on my drop bar bikes! :eek:

Yebbut.
If you’re putting sideways pressure on your levers, you’ll be shifting gears when you don’t want to.**

**true for Shimano brifters.

Of course you need them tight enough if gripping the hoods.

Top Bottom