drops - what's the point

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I used to ride on the drops about 90% of the time (I started riding on an old bike, and the brakes were really only effective when applied from the drops, hence I got into the habit).

After my last off (3 weeks off the bike) I found I couldn't do that any more, so I'm mostly on the hoods now. I still use the drops when I want a bit of "free" efficiency, or to kid myself that I'm beating the headwind.

Bars with a "proper" bend (i.e. non anatomic) are fantastic, as you can hold the lower bit of the bar too on long straights (i.e. the bit past the curve on the bottom), a really comfy position imo.

There's tons of different sorts of drops too - this page covers a lot of the different profiles;

http://ruedatropical.wordpress.com/2009/03/02/road-drop-bar-geometry/

beancounter

I have a quite irrational dislike of flat bar bikes. Just can't stand them.

bc

OP
OP
Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
jimboalee said:
Positioning the handlebars 'up and back' is anotomically incorrect. The wrists are strained ALL the time and Bar ends point outwards at an uncomfortable angle.

This was the way they were fitted when I bought the bike. It's only a slight sweep. I think it's like that partly for aesthetic reasons. It took me a long while to work out why bar-ends looked alright on my flat barred mountain bike but minging on my commuter bike.

Another reason I swapped to drops was to conform, I suppose. My friends at work I used to go cycling at lunchtime with had drops on their bikes. When I joined my tri club, they all had drops on their training bikes.

buddha

Veteran
John the Monkey said:
Bars with a "proper" bend (i.e. non anatomic) are fantastic, as you can hold the lower bit of the bar too on long straights (i.e. the bit past the curve on the bottom), a really comfy position imo.
Agreed. I've just swapped my stock, anatomical bars for some compact ones with, as you say, a 'proper' bend. And was able to stay comfortably in the drops for over 20 minutes (fighting a headwind) for the first time today by holding the bit past the curve.

Tynan

Veteran
I commute almost entirely in drops, feels very comfy, the hoods are nice but feels like I should be wearing a straw hat and smoking a cheroot

D

Deleted member 1258

I have courier bars on my Pearson, I have used that bike for long distance, 60-70+ miles, and they are comfortable. I have drops on my Dawes and ride tops and hoods only, I cant ride down on the drops except free wheeling down descents, the position is to low. I have never had a bike with drops on that I can ride comfortably down on the drops, something to do with my shape.

MajorMantra

Not all drops are created equally or rather, not all drops are set up equally. There's a big difference in using drops on a bike set up like a typical tourer with the hoods and the saddle almost level, and using drops on a bike with a signifact saddle to bar drop.

I have bikes set up both ways. In the former case I can stay in the drops for extended periods with relative comfort. In the latter case I spend most of my time on the hoods and go down to the drops for fast descending or to battle headwinds.

Matthew

buddha

Veteran
dave r said:
... I cant ride down on the drops except free wheeling down descents, the position is to low.
I had the same problem and switched to compact bars (as said in a previous post) as they have a shallower drop. 125mm in the case of the FSA Omega bars. Very comfy now.

Radius

SHREDDER
I use them to go down hills, I don't like tight fast cornering without them, couldn't do it on flat bars. Also good as stated against wind resistance.
On my fixed gear bike I use Profile Airwing bullhorns, which I love, because I don't need as many position changes (mainly city bike), but want the leverage afforded by some kind of extension. They look lovely as well (EDIT: and before anyone posts a pic of my bike, I've re wrapped the bars and they look a billion times better, thanks :laugh:)

Davidc

Guru
buddha said:
I had the same problem and switched to compact bars (as said in a previous post) as they have a shallower drop. 125mm in the case of the FSA Omega bars. Very comfy now.

I put those on a bike I had about 10 years ago. and found them very good for the fairly gentle hills of South Suffolk/ North Essex where I then lived. When I moved back west and tried them on more viscious hills not so good.

garrilla

Drops enable you to have a more 'aggressive' position thatis both more aerodynamic and physiologically suitable for increased speed.

Like most people I will spend a lot of time on the hoods, but if its windy or I'm on the flat and I want to pick-up the speeed then I'll ride on the drops, as well as tucking in for downhills.

Downward

Guru
So as a non Roadie - Hoods Are the plastic bits right where you can just reach the brakes and gears ??

Had a look at a Roadie and it seems strange the way you can only grip the brake lever fully on the drops and unnatural that on the hoods you can only get a weak grip on it

MajorMantra

Downward said:
So as a non Roadie - Hoods Are the plastic bits right where you can just reach the brakes and gears ??

Had a look at a Roadie and it seems strange the way you can only grip the brake lever fully on the drops and unnatural that on the hoods you can only get a weak grip on it

Yes, those are the hoods.

It's really not that weak a grip. With decent brakes and modern levers you can brake very hard.

Matthew

MajorMantra

Downward said:
I found I could only reach the Top of the brake lever.

Short fingers? On my road bikes my fingers sit below the first curve in the brake lever when I'm on the hoods, which gives plenty of leverage.

Matthew

Top Bottom