Drove to work this morning

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Big T

Guru
Drove to work this morning cos I'm gonna have to dash off to get to Otley.

The traffic was horrendous. Complete gridlock in places. You don't really notice it on a bike, but there's no way I could do that everyday.

Back on the bike tomorrow.

domtyler

Über Member
No wonder so many of them suffer from road rage all the time!

snapper_37

Barbara Woodhouse's Love Child
I know what you mean. I drive only on a Monday to take my clothes in for week and I HATE it! Hope you'll feel better back on the bike 2mr, passing everyone :becool:

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Agreed. On the 3 odd ocassions I have driven in there has been an accident on the A14 and it has taken me just as long to drive in as it does to bike. I really hate it when I have to drive in now.

domtyler

Über Member
snapper_37 said:
I know what you mean. I drive only on a Monday to take my clothes in for week and I HATE it! Hope you'll feel better back on the bike 2mr, passing everyone :becool:

Get a rack and panniers, much more agreeable! :ohmy:

domtyler

Über Member
FatFellaFromFelixstowe said:
Agreed. On the 3 odd ocassions I have driven in there has been an accident on the A14 and it has taken me just as long to drive in as it does to bike. I really hate it when I have to drive in now.

I love it when they warn of an accident or road works on my journey, it just seems to make it so much more fun whizzing past vast lines of cars and having to do lots of weaving in and out at certain points. :becool:

snapper_37

Barbara Woodhouse's Love Child
domtyler said:
Get a rack and panniers, much more agreeable! :blush:

I've never liked them - don't know why. Any anyway, how would I carry my Louis Vuitton handbag and detachable make-up case?? :smile:;):biggrin:

I actually quite like driving, but not at rush hour. Actually, why is it called rush hour? The majority of drivers on their way to work never appear to be in a rush. Most of the drivers I see have plenty of time to do their make-up or shave:rolleyes:

domtyler

Über Member
snapper_37 said:
I've never liked them - don't know why. Any anyway, how would I carry my Louis Vuitton handbag and detachable make-up case?? :smile:;):biggrin:

I'm sure you can get Gucci panniers in Selfridges, I'll check it out on the way home tonight. Is the matching detachable make up bag essential or could you make do with an old inner tube with a knot in one end? :blush:

snapper_37 said:

Time for a trailer. I advise not getting one with a big container on it though as you are female and will feel duty bound to fill it to the brim with any old tat you can find that you will never ever use other than something to rummage in while saying "bugger, I've lost my keys/purse/swipe card/small boy etc'" just before finding said item.

I'll get me coat.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Catrike UK said:
Time for a trailer. I advise not getting one with a big container on it though as you are female and will feel duty bound to fill it to the brim with any old tat you can find that you will never ever use other than something to rummage in while saying "bugger, I've lost my keys/purse/swipe card/small boy etc'" just before finding said item.

I'll get me coat.

That's me:biggrin: ... pannier always bursting open ... I like to be prepared for every eventuality ... so have sunscreen, waterproofs, lip balm, sunglasses (and spare ones for when I loose the other pair in the mess), and first aid kit and ..........well the list goes on forever:blush:.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Count your blessings. On the days I can't cycle (because of meetings and the like) I have to go back on the bus & tube, and it drives me absolutely mental. And I did it every day, for years. Which now I just find astonishing.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
summerdays said:
That's me:biggrin: ... pannier always bursting open ... I like to be prepared for every eventuality ... so have sunscreen, waterproofs, lip balm, sunglasses (and spare ones for when I loose the other pair in the mess), and first aid kit and ..........well the list goes on forever:blush:.

LOL, and me. I guess Hackers was right when he called me a tart.

Average speed showing on bike = 12.5 mph over 86 miles. Average speed showing on car 16.75 mph over 67 miles. All trips both bike and car are similar local journeys at similar times of day for this period ;) If I was younger (and fitter) I think the bike average would be the same (or better) than the car :blush:

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Mum took me to LBS yesterday to drop the frame off for the wheel build and the stuff to be done on it. It was rush hour and a mixture of having to wait in traffic, not being able to move from lane to lane ment it took us ages to get there.
Horrible having to sit in a car in rush hour.

Top Bottom