Drug cheats

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mangaman

Dayvo said:
Ben Johnson, after serving his ban, came back and was tested positive again, FFS!

But Mr Squeaky Clean Lewis surely is the biggest cheat, given the number of Olympic golds he 'won' and his holier than thou condemnation of 'drug cheats'!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Lewis#Stimulant_use

'Inadvertant use', yeah, bollocks! Didn't help Alain Baxter!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alain_Baxter#Medal_appeal_controversy

I agree - Johnson was the quickest doper on the planet in that race ;)

He also showed a modicum of humility and acceptance, unlike Carl Lewis, who I agree deserves greater criticism for his hypocrisy (and his cheating)

Chrisz

Über Member
661-Pete said:
True, but aren't you being rather insensitive, seeing as Tom Simpson paid the ultimate possible 'price' for his 'cheating'? I for one would not dance on someone's grave.

Hardly "dancing on his grave" mate - just thought I'd throw his name into the equation for a little bit of balance as he seems to be forever overlooked as a drugs cheat and seems to be upheld as some sort of hero.

Chrisz said:
Hardly "dancing on his grave" mate - just thought I'd throw his name into the equation for a little bit of balance as he seems to be forever overlooked as a drugs cheat and seems to be upheld as some sort of hero.

'Twas only a youngster in the 60s, but I think it's a bit harsh to call Tom Simpson a drugs cheat when all and sundry were taking something or other in the 'old days'!

Unless I'm hugely mistaken (which has been known to happen on rare occasions ;)), most, if not all, riders were on crude diets of drugs, if nothing more than to help them complete the extraordinarily long stages of the long tours.

One of the all-time greats (I forget which one) said something along the lines of no-one wins races by just drinking water - it was an acceptable, albeit wrong, side to road racing then.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Hmm,

It's the muppets in the likes of the Local Authority Leisure Centres that take a plenty (not just in the meat head gyms, or pro sport) Learnt/had confirmed a fact this weekend....

We have had a 'body building supplies' store open near us, opens late and stays open late, even on a Sunday evening....... very dodgy. It's been confirmed from a mate of mine that it's well known that steroids, and other similar stuff is sold out of the shop....or from the rear.....

The guy I know is about 6'2" and does some training at the local leisure centre (my wife is a member) - some of the guys there openly discuss what they get from this 'shop'..... (hasten to say not him)....

The 'shop owner' drives round in a Bentley Continental GT, and has 'other' dealings elsewhere..... the cops are well aware, but are waiting for a bigger haul.....

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Dayvo said:
'Twas only a youngster in the 60s, but I think it's a bit harsh to call Tom Simpson a drugs cheat when all and sundry were taking something or other in the 'old days'!

In fact in the very early days they didn't take drugs, they took a train! ;)

Chrisz

Über Member
Dayvo said:

Unless I'm hugely mistaken (which has been known to happen on rare occasions :smile:), most, if not all, riders were on crude diets of drugs, if nothing more than to help them complete the extraordinarily long stages of the long tours.

One of the all-time greats (I forget which one) said something along the lines of no-one wins races by just drinking water - it was an acceptable, albeit wrong, side to road racing then.

LOL and in about 50 years time they'll be saying exactly the same thing about the stars of the 90s - 10s :smile: :biggrin:

Top Bottom