Drumlanrig Challenge May 1st 2010

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
viniga said:
OK Seamab, think I might have salvaged you a place for next year :wacko:

As you may have worked out - the event is the exact opposite. Great food, fantastic organisation, beautiful countryside. The roads have suffered a bit; but that is true of all over the UK. Weather was a little damp on occassion, wind a little better than last year and I'm happy with my time! My thanks to the organisers! Oh and if the Borders Wheelers look at cycle chat, thanks for the tow.
Sounds like a great ride - and, like Seamab, I still trying to work out how I managed to be too late in entering ..... :biggrin:.

Was this the last planned big ride before parenthood, Viniga ??

viniga

Guru
scoosh said:
Was this the last planned big ride before parenthood, Viniga ??

The Etape is the last planned one. Looking forward to it but at the same time dreading it too...

You never know I might still get out... next year :smile:

OP
OP
S

Seamab

Did they alter the route this year Viniga? I remember talk of taking out the nasty steep hill and reversing the loops.

viniga

Guru
This was their 5th year and I believe they reverted to the route that was run for the first three. So that is the reverse of the way we did it last year.

As a result the nasty steep hill was only 15 miles or so in. It was still nasty and steep though with gravel, potholes and all. Lost traction on my back wheel again and got a bit caught amongst the other riders but manged to get through and drop almost everyone :thumbsup:

That meant the Mennock pass was in the second loop. And remembering how it felt last year with fresh legs, I was thinking 'this will be ok'... but it was actually quite a painful climb after a fast first loop.;)

OP
OP
S

Seamab

viniga said:
As a result the nasty steep hill was only 15 miles or so in. It was still nasty and steep though with gravel, potholes and all. Lost traction on my back wheel again and got a bit caught amongst the other riders but manged to get through and drop almost everyone ;)

Did you get the gradient from your Garmin? Must be around 25%, i'd imagine

That's where i got boxed in last year and didn't dare try to overtake on the descent (very scary with a junction at the bottom). By the time, i got back on the flat the peleton had disappeared...

gordondshaw

Was a good event, but very tough in places. The steep climb in the first loop was tricky due to the road surface, the incline forcing you out of the saddle but the lack of traction forcing you to sit down!!

As for the Mennock Pass, it was brutal. It doesn't help that at times you look as though you're going downhill, when in reality your still climbing, verified by Garmin and jelly legs! The longest 11 miles I've ever done.

As for the cakes? They were superb, and plentiful, and now have a taste for peanut butter and jam sandwiches!!

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
:biggrin: gordondshaw and :ohmy: to the mad/exciting/friendly world of CycleChat :sad:

Are you doing any other events soon, when you might be able to meet some of us ?

maybe not too soon, so you don't get put right off :biggrin:

viniga

Guru
gordondshaw said:
Was a good event, but very tough in places. The steep climb in the first loop was tricky due to the road surface, the incline forcing you out of the saddle but the lack of traction forcing you to sit down!!

As for the Mennock Pass, it was brutal. It doesn't help that at times you look as though you're going downhill, when in reality your still climbing, verified by Garmin and jelly legs! The longest 11 miles I've ever done.

As for the cakes? They were superb, and plentiful, and now have a taste for peanut butter and jam sandwiches!!

Welcome gordonshaw, glad you enjoyed Drumlanrig, it's not an easy route but rewarding, well done!

In the photies i'm the guy in red in 044 IMG_2909. Race#44 on page 4 of http://www.drumlanrigchallenge.co.uk/

Viniga

Top Bottom