Drunk driver kills cyclist and gets jailed.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
PaulB

PaulB

Legendary Member
I had always assumed the driving ban couldn't be served while the prisoner was unable to drive due to being inside. The law certainly used to be that way as my father's wife - this was way before they met BTW - spent time behind bars after a driving offence and her driving ban didn't take effect until the day of her release so I have always thought that was still the case.

Cycling Dan

Cycle Crazy
Why is there no thing as a life time driving ban? You can be put away longer for other minor things but if it involves driving somehow your sentence is less.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
AlisonBowen.jpg

How do you drive a car in that state for five miles?
How do you claim you thought you'd hit a badger?
It was Robertsbridge ffs not Jurassic Park.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
It was passed but the relevant clauses haven't been commenced.
Various organs and organisations like the CTC think they have, but I can't find any evidence that this is the case. What was the primary legislation and if it ain't been commenced what the feck are we cyclists going to do about that?

stowie

Legendary Member
Various organs and organisations like the CTC think they have, but I can't find any evidence that this is the case. What was the primary legislation and if it ain't been commenced what the feck are we cyclists going to do about that?

I had thought that the ban started after the sentence due to revised legislation. Thanks to @User for informing otherwise. This is outrageous if the legislation hasn't commenced. What is the process for this - why would this not have commenced after being passed (excuse my ignorance)?

Brains

Legendary Member
On the plus side, reading between the lines she will never drive again
"She is required to pass an extended test before she can drive again."
Which in reality means even if she did take and 'extended test' aged the wrong side of 65, she would still be uninsurable

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Which in reality means even if she did take and 'extended test' aged the wrong side of 65, she would still be uninsurable

Who says she'd bother with insurance then ? Or observe any lifetime ban ?

Depressing. At least a prison sentence was given this time.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Maybe she won't ever drive again - I hope not - but wouldn't it be nice if the law actually stood up for the innocent, and made obvious our displeasure in cases like this by enforcing a lifetime ban!

I can't see any reason why we should worry about the driver's inconvenience when she comes out of prison. So, she would have to walk, ride a bike, catch a bus, call a taxi, or just stay at home - tough. BAN HER!

Origamist

Legendary Member
She was boozing at lunchtime with friends - the husband of one friend offered her a lift home but she declined. A shame none of her "friends" insisted she should not drive, or took away her car keys, or phoned the police when she turned the ignition...

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
She was boozing at lunchtime with friends - the husband of one friend offered her a lift home but she declined. A shame none of her "friends" insisted she should not drive, or took away her car keys, or phoned the police when she turned the ignition...
I saw someone like that once at a country pub near Coventry. I was drinking in the pub garden when there was a commotion at the door leading to the rear car park. Staff and others were trying to stop a drunk getting into his Jag. I could hear them shouting that he was not fit to drive. He fell over twice trying to get into the car, but pushed the others away and slammed the door behind him. He sped away and crashed into the wall leading out of the car park, shot across the road and hit the hedge opposite, then accelerated away down the road. I hope that the police were called and managed to stop the idiot before someone got killed. He should have been banned for life too!

Top Bottom