'Drunk drivers cars to Ukraine '. Something the UK should consider?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-64903201

In Latvia where drunk driving is a big problem the government has introduced legislation so that convicted drivers have their cars seized. The huge number piling up in pounds has prompted them to give them to a charity that send cars to Ukraine.
About a quarter of Latvians are ethnic Russians so I guess they won't be best pleased.

Fastpedaller

That sounds like a top idea - we'll then get the do-gooders saying it can't possibly be legal?

Jameshow

Veteran
We should send all the old xc90 as trooper carriers with a sheet of steel over the front would be pretty bullet proof like the d5!

Good thinking by Latvia.

I've long wondered why on earth persistently illegal drivers don't simply have their cars confiscated at some point in their increasingly-offensive life. More than one similar or related category offence within a certain shortish period and the car is confiscated, after which it is crushed, sold on, donated to some sort of public service or whatever.
If a replacement car is obtained before the licence is reissued - IF it is reissued - then that car is confiscated immediately upon its discovery, as driving w/o a licence would be a confiscation offence in and of itself.

presta

Guru
I thought cars already were being confiscated for some offences, I hope they're not just being put in the crusher. Why not send them to Ukraine, better than just bunging them in the auction.

I thought cars already were being confiscated for some offences, I hope they're not just being put in the crusher. Why not send them to Ukraine, better than just bunging them in the auction.

I think they get crushed if they're uninsured and not collected and insured very pronto.

But - IMO - they should be confiscated for many, many more offences. Anything that results in the loss of a licence, certainly. Just --- take the thing away; if you've not got it, you can't drive it. And if you go out and buy another one - or drive someone else's - THAT one gets confiscated pronto and your licence return further delayed.

Jameshow

Veteran
Good thinking by Latvia.

I've long wondered why on earth persistently illegal drivers don't simply have their cars confiscated at some point in their increasingly-offensive life. More than one similar or related category offence within a certain shortish period and the car is confiscated, after which it is crushed, sold on, donated to some sort of public service or whatever.
If a replacement car is obtained before the licence is reissued - IF it is reissued - then that car is confiscated immediately upon its discovery, as driving w/o a licence would be a confiscation offence in and of itself.

I think there has to be some leeway, what happens if you come out if hospital after a serious illness perhaps a being in a coma only to find your cars been crushed!!

It would give the jobsworth council wardens another level of powers, I can see them driving round ten past midnight with their recovery vehicles hovering up any cars that aren't insured!

Top Bottom