Dry Lube.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Does anyone use this and is it effective compared to conventional lubricants? Have you found one brand better than another? Many roads, or what pass as roads here have a fine sand which really sticks to the oil on chains. The other reason I'm asking is conventional lubes can't be couriered here.

Last edited:

lazyfatgit

i Use a dry lube from Bike Mechanic called Bike Milk. It's quite effective in dry conditions here and I've not noticed much of a difference in chain life from others I've tried. It's a wax based lube suspended in a solvent which acts as a cleaner too. downside is it needs to be applied and allowed to dry before riding, so i usually clean/lube after a ride. It's still a liquid though, so may not be suitable for shipping to your location?.

Dry lube is rubbish and has no-where near the service life of standard oil. Inside the chain, the lubrication gets pushed out of the pressure faces during the tension cycle and replenished in the slack cycle by way of capillary action. Dry lube cannot flow back. It very quickly displaces from the places where it is supposed to work and settles where it doesn't experience pressure. This is pretty clear from how quickly it contaminates the outside of the plates and the jockey wheels.
If you live in the city or in the bundu, there's no reason to buy special oil for chains. Any motor oil will do. That should sort out your import problem.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Same here. The only dry lube I have tried was indeed very wet but dries leaving a thin waxy coating. Has to be applied liberally and maybe multiple coats to be anything close to effective IME.

www.wiggle.co.uk/finish-line-dry-teflon-lubricant-120ml-bottle

I have a bottle of this stuff.... Im not 100% certain how i should apply it tbh. I see how runny it is and i instantly think i need to pour some into a cup and paint it on the chain with a paintbrush

XC26

I'm currently using "White Lightning Clean Ride", a wax based lubricant suspended in a solvent. I think the idea is that the solvent transports the wax deep into the chain and then evaporates away, leaving dry wax behind. I've been using it for over a year on my commuter, in all weathers on salty, gritty wintry roads, and it seems to be doing a fair job. Obviously, you will need to apply it far more frequently in wet wintry conditions than on dry sunny rides. I was applying it 2/3 times per week in the worst conditions and maybe once a fortnight in fair weather. I use both KMC and Connex chains and switched to a dry lube because I was experiencing rapid, premature chain wear using conventional chain lubes, as well as filthy black trouser legs. If your chain is enclosed and not exposed to road grit, salt and water, oil must be the best because it flows into the chain and ensures the moving surfaces are always lubed. However, oil attracts grit and forms a very abrasive paste that can accelerate wear of the moving metal surfaces of your chain. Wax does not do this but the downside is that wax does not flow back to the moving parts of the chain once it has been displaced and so frequent waxing is required. On balance, I am getting longer chain life with the wax lube - and cleaner trousers.

bpsmith

Veteran
I got the Team Sky lube, when a combination of offers was on within my local enterprise park purveyor of bike and car things.

It's a combination of Muc-Offs wet and dry lubes, giving the best of both worlds. Lasts well too.

The key to not attracting dirt though, is not to put too much of any lube on.

XC26

Grit, dirt, sand, etc. gets flung up into the chain, and other places, particularly by the the front wheel and sticks to anything coated with oil, such as the chain. After a particularly wet, salty winters commute I would clean my chain by spraying it with GT85 and noticed that the rag I held under the chain would be coated with a gritty, sandy deposit which the spray can had blasted out from between the links. This abrasive oily paste is harmless on the outside of the chain but disastrous on the inner wearable surfaces (and your trousers). However, it works its way inside the chain when water or oil assists its progress and accelerates chain wear. If not already done so, see Sheldon's notes on this subject: "https://www.sheldonbrown.com/chains.html".

GuyBoden

Guru
I found that Teflon (PTFE) dry-lube to be ok on dry summer days, but I had to wipe the chain and reapply it after every ride. An advantage is no oily marks.
I wouldn't use Teflon (PTFE) dry-lube on wet roads, so it is not very good for our wet British climate.

I'll just leave this here if I may, LINKY ^_^

Chainsaw Oil.jpg

Top Bottom