Dry lube?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chris folder

Hi :hello: anyone use muc offs dry Lube? How do you find it rideing etc? Its my first time useing muc off dry lube today cleaned my chain then put the lube on the chain i notice the lube sits like white liquid on the chain but quite runny is the lube surpose to dry in to the chain on mine stays white liquid? Other dry lube I have use dry almost straight away

si_c

Guru
Hi :hello: anyone use muc offs dry Lube? How do you find it rideing etc? Its my first time useing muc off dry lube today cleaned my chain then put the lube on the chain i notice the lube sits like white liquid on the chain but quite runny is the lube surpose to dry in to the chain on mine stays white liquid? Other dry lube I have use dry almost straight away
It's very good IMO, but it does wash out easily in wet weather.

Once applied, let it sit a bit then wipe the chain and you're good to go.

I find it's a really clean lube in use, but it does need reapplying regularly, and after a wet ride. Chain noise is a bit louder than wet or ceramic lube, but quieter than some other brands.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
It's awful stuff.

I tried it once and will never again. Wet lube all the way all the time, muc off for me.
As @si_c says dry lube does not quieten down the drive train much, this basically means there is metal on metal contact. Not good for the drive train or your ears.

@Yellow Saddle explained it and it makes perfect sense to me. A dry lube starts out runny and works it's way into the internals of the chain and then dries to a waxy coating over the chain. However under load the plates squeeze together and the lube is expelled from this closing gap but when the load is taken off and the gap widens the waxy lube cannot flow back in unlike the still liquid wet lube, in effect you very quickly have no lube and a noisy chain again.

The black gunk from lube on the chain is also a sign it is doing it's job by washing out some of the gunk from the internals.

Last edited:

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Might be coincidence, but I tried it for while and the chain wear was dreadful. After a 1,000 miles or so of winter riding, the chain had to be replaced and that was with frequent applications because of it washing out and wiping the chain before and after each application. Reverted to my normal lube after that.

bpsmith

Veteran
Doesn't say anything about it it being for summer only on the Muc Off website
It says that it's for Dry Conditions, with the Wet Lube being for Wet Conditions. Yes, we get wet Summer's too, but I think that it's pretty obvious that a Dry Lube is not suited to our Winters?

Dry Lube, by it's very nature, is designed not to pick up dust and dirt in dry conditions. Such dust and dirt is less prevalent in the Winter, due to it being damper, even on dry days.

I use Muc Off's Team Sky lube personally, which is a combination of both their Dry and Wet lubes. It's a very good balance of both. Quiet chain for at least 125 miles in the Wet, and more in better conditions, without all the dust and dirt that sticks to a traditional Wet lube.

Tim Hall

It says that it's for Dry Conditions, with the Wet Lube being for Wet Conditions. Yes, we get wet Summer's too, but I think that it's pretty obvious that a Dry Lube is not suited to our Winters?

Dry Lube, by it's very nature, is designed not to pick up dust and dirt in dry conditions. Such dust and dirt is less prevalent in the Winter, due to it being damper, even on dry days.

I use Muc Off's Team Sky lube personally, which is a combination of both their Dry and Wet lubes. It's a very good balance of both. Quiet chain for at least 125 miles in the Wet, and more in better conditions, without all the dust and dirt that sticks to a traditional Wet lube.
You're quite right, I missed that bit.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Don't forget either that you shouldn't put dry lube on a chain that's had wet lube on (or vice versa) without thoroughly cleaning / degreasing it first.

And dry lube needs to be applied and then left a couple of hours before you go for a ride.

I've used it and while it's fine, once I'd used the bottle I didn't bother replacing it and just use wet lube all year round. I've got some Muc-Off Ceramic lube to try next time I degrease the chain, which is designed for wet weather.

OP
OP
C

chris folder

Hi I noticed with the Muc off dry lube my chain looks wet that right? Its like white at the start on the chain then turned clear the chain is wet but looks clean Done 20 miles still wet on the chain? Its a bit like a wet lube on the chain yours like this on your chain? Or could it be my chain de greaser slightly on chain making it look like this? the dry lube I was useing before drys in on chain within a minutes

Last edited:
I bought a bottle of dry lube before I knew better, it now goes on my 'best bike' which never gets ridden in wet conditions. For my run around I stick with wet lube. As such, the 200ml bottle of dry lube I have should last the rest of my days.

As salty seadog mentions, dry lube requires regular reapplication to be useful. IMO we don't get enough good dry weather in the UK to justify the use of dry lube, and wet does the job in all conditions.

In fact, the only reason I would buy dry lube is if I had an indoor only track or training bike. So unless you already have some in stock or have a bike you keep aside for fair weather days, I wouldn't bother buying or using it. I imagine it's more useful in drier climates, but show me a dry location in blighty, 10 days a year excluded :smile:

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Hi I noticed with the Muc off dry lube my chain looks wet that right? Its like white at the start on the chain then turned clear the chain is wet but looks clean Done 20 miles still wet on the chain? Its a bit like a wet lube on the chain yours like this on your chain? Or could it be my chain de greaser slightly on chain making it look like this? the dry lube I was useing before drys in on chain within a minutes
Yep, it's white to begin with, and looks wet, although I don't recall how long it stayed looking wet.
Monitor your riding conditions. If you only ride dry weather and roads, you may find it doesn't exacerbate chain wear. IME the problem at this time of the year is road conditions rather than weather. The chain stays of my road bike get filthy, even though I can have ridden dry.

OP
OP
C

chris folder

Hi lubed my chain again tonight was wet for few rides then dryed out needed lube again I like the clean looking chain but the lube needs applying often then not like wet lube I mite try muc offs wet lube?

Top Bottom