Drying shoes / clothes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
You don't and you cannot unless its very warm - I hang my jacket and trousers from a loop at the front of the tent porch which allows them to drip - wear them in the morning for a while to get dry if its not raining - if it is raining wear them anyway

Andym- not really - Its generally only your waterproofs - if it is a nice morning you can often get them dry by just hanging them up while you are packing up - if its a bit cold to start with then wearing them keeps the chill out until it warms up - normally do not worry too much about legging but jacket and gloves I find its a good idea to get dry as soon as possible

If its hot and its laundry just put cycling stuff on - keeps you cool for a while

rualexander

Legendary Member
Generally you just have to put up with stuff being wet and follow the advice from psmiffy regarding hanging up to drip and putting on again next morning to either dry or get wet again depending on the weather.
If the weather dries out in the evening and its not cold you can sometimes put a wet top on over a dry top and dry the wet one out with bodyheat depending on fabrics etc. And if its only slightly damp you can sleep in it and dry it out overnight, not particularly comfortable though!
Footwear can take ages to dry depending what you wear, I have had boots that stayed wet for days in damp weather. A pair of Sealskinz socks can make this less unpleasant.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
It's not only waterproofs if you've just done the washing!

I have occasionally made use of the spin driers on site and rarer a drying room/area. Try to wash them on a short day and warm day. Draping damp stuff over the pannier during the ride can work.

Try to keep a days worth of clean dry clothes ahead too.

andym

Über Member
rich p said:
I have occasionally made use of the spin driers on site and rarer a drying room/area.

I generally think driers are the spawn of the devil. But if you've got wet clothes and you can't dry them naturally, what could be better?

If you've got flat bars, you can drape a t-shirt or pair of shorts over your brake cables.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
andym said:
I generally think driers are the spawn of the devil. But if you've got wet clothes and you can't dry them naturally, what could be better?

Spin driers rather than tumble driers though. They were quite common in Germany.

Joe

Über Member
Stuffing your shoes with newspaper can help them dry a bit quicker. Replacing it periodically is ideal but some is better than none!

I have only once used a tumble drier on tour – I was cycling up the west coast of the South Island of New Zealand in what I thought was heavy rain (30mm/hr - It rained heavier the next day) and when I got to Haast they refused to let me camp as it was raining too hard - had to stay in a backpackers where there was a tumble drier – my waterproofs and cycling clothes were saturated and stupidly I had not put my wallet back into the plastic bag where it normally lives on wet days – drier dealt easily with the clothes and then it was the turn of the money – about £600, 200US$ and 500NZ$ - got a lot of odd looks from the inhabitants of the backpackers as they were passing – opening the door to see what was dry and chasing it around the corridor as it fell out.

jay clock

Massive member
I take two sets of on-bike clothes and wash one each evening. This leaves inner and and outer shorts to be dried. I string up a washing line, and also roll the stuff in my travel towel to remove moisture. In the morning, I clip the shirt over the panniers with clothes pegs and trail one part of the shorts from each handlebar (flat barred bike). In France I had it all dried by lunchtime. On one breezy night I had it all dried overnight.

For shoes, I aim to use my SPD sandals - great invention

Top Bottom