Dual Carriageways

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Am I right in thinking that some dual carriageways have only one lane and some single carriageways have more than one lane?

Yes, however I get the impression this thread is about the psudeo-motorway type, 2+ lanes in each direction, with a central reservation and no adjoining roads, only slip roads or large RAB's for entry and exit. Could be off base though!

martint235

Dog on a bike
On other threads it's been said that a great deal of cycling is to do with the confidence of the rider. So far most of this thread seems to be about scaring the beejeezus out of the OP.

Dual carriageways are often the quickest way from A to B. They are often driven at speed but in my experience, particularly on the ones with two lanes each side, there is more room for traffic to overtake (although whether or not they use that room is up to the driver). I ride a dual carriageway as part of my commute and I also use them a lot to get back home from places (see note about quickest route). Some are pleasant (A30 at night out of London) some are unpleasant (the A303 near Stonehenge springs to mind) but I can't say there's a stretch I'd never ride again.

Black Country Ste

There's a lot of these single lane roads with a car park running along the side of them in the Birmingham area too. :bicycle:
It very much reminded me of the dual carriageways around Hall Green and Quinton but those are very much narrower. Ridgacre Road westbound is uphill and to ride out of the door zone you need to be in the next lane, exactly where you'd rather not be. Wolverhampton Road South riding towards The Amber is another nasty one.

Bodhbh

Guru
some are unpleasant (the A303 near Stonehenge springs to mind) but I can't say there's a stretch I'd never ride again.

That road is pretty bad. In fact the worst. The only road I've had to bail on after a few hundred metres, but then I'm not talking about the dual carridgeway sections. Just constant artics on both sides and no room to pass safely, or just pass full stop - not that it stops anyone. Not that I expect to enjoy riding along either, it, but just wanted to ride along it a few miles to join the dots and didn't know the situation.

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
I have the A21 and the A228 near me.

The A228 has a great wide cycle path along one side with a barrier protecting it from the traffic, the A21 doesn't and is the lead up to the M25. They do periodically race on the A21 but it's well marshalled and sign posted weeks in advance so the traffic know to slow down. I have only ever seen one or 2 daft cyclist attempt to ride it and i am betting they never did it again.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
There are some dual carriageways where cycling is NOT legal. The A720 Edinburgh by-pass springs to mind, for starters.
Personally, I would avoid them like the plague.
yes, that's unfortunate. It's by far the best way to get from the A68 to the Forth Road Bridge

I have the A21 and the A228 near me.
the A21 doesn't and is the lead up to the M25..
Ah - I think following the A21 north on to the M25, and having two lanes join from the left was one of those special moments. Having said that.......I'm here to tell the tale.

The A38(M) Aston Expressway is a hoot, though.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Its maybe the simplest but its not the best or quickest for bike, its a bit of a circular detour; you'd be better to go straight through town.
well, having gone round the A720 twice and gone through the centre of town three or four times I reckon I know the answer to that one

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Ah - I think following the A21 north on to the M25, and having two lanes join from the left was one of those special moments. Having said that.......I'm here to tell the tale.

I am not surprised :ohmy:
You know me.. the SMRbtH when LongMartin has devised a route is usually all A roads where possible. But that stretch is madness. For cars let along bicycles.

It's even worse in Pembury :ohmy:

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I am not surprised :ohmy:
You know me.. the SMRbtH when LongMartin has devised a route is usually all A roads where possible. But that stretch is madness. For cars let along bicycles.

It's even worse in Pembury :ohmy:
I was astonished. This was not long after the M25 opened. I'd been beetling down and up the A21 for a few years and saw the stretch of new tarmac going round Sevenoaks as a bit of a bonus. But........there comes a point where you are stuck on the damn thing, heading for the third lane of a motorway. The young DZ discovered that sheer terror is the greatest aid to motion one can imagine.

Schneil

Veteran
Upper Brook Street is not a dual carriageway to my knowledge :S A dual carriageway is a road with the opposing directions of traffic separated by a central reservation.

Parts of UBS have a central reservation, like the junction with Dover Street - IIRC there's a dual carriageway sign there.
But to change my example - think of Mauldeth Road in Chorlton - I'd do primary on the nearside lane there as it has narrow lanes.

Trickedem

Guru
Ended up at the A249 on my ride yesterday after a navigational error. This is the road of death (literally) between Maidstone M20 and Sheerness M2. Anyway decided to go for it on the downhill section towards Detling, because the alternative would have been a long detour. Very quickly we were doing over 30mph in a section where the speed limit went down to 50 because of a bend and still cars were going past at more than 70mph. Fortunately a car behind us didn't try to overtake and prevented us being rear-ended. This is not something I intend to do again!!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Ended up at the A249 on my ride yesterday after a navigational error. This is the road of death (literally) between Maidstone M20 and Sheerness M2. Anyway decided to go for it on the downhill section towards Detling, because the alternative would have been a long detour. Very quickly we were doing over 30mph in a section where the speed limit went down to 50 because of a bend and still cars were going past at more than 70mph. Fortunately a car behind us didn't try to overtake and prevented us being rear-ended. This is not something I intend to do again!!

I wonder what naughty words the car driver was referring you too? ;)

A few years ago, I ended up on a Dual Carriageway in North East Fife a simililar navigational error, I had the wind behind me and it was a Easter Monday so I decided to continue and get back on track; a cyclist was killed close to there last week :ohmy:

Top Bottom