Dual Carriageways

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Origamist said:
As someone who spent quite a few hours on the A38 also known as the Devon Expressway (70mph limit) I know where you're coming from. That said, I would not want to downplay the problem of sliproads and traffic moving at between 70mph and 90mph+.

Whilst sight lines are often better on dual carriageways, motorists tend not to see cyclists on trunk roads and this does not help matters when they do encounter cyclists riding at 20mph or so. It's true that oncoming traffic is not a problem, but with a stream of overtaking traffic in the oustide lane you need to be constantly aware of what's going on behind you due to the huge speed differentials.

It's quite interesting because although there is a risk on the slip roads on quite a few high speed dual carriageways often the ones that don't have slip road have large waves and clumps of traffic coming up behind you in both lanes as somewhere further back there was a bottleneck (probably light controlled).

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
TWBNK said:
Cyclecraft has some good advice for navigating entry and exit slips.

Cyclecraft has a lot of good advice on cycling on dual carriageways generally, well worth reading. There can be advantages to using dual carriageways as part of your commute as they are generally direct routes, also there is more space for other traffic to overtake and there is no excuse for close passes, there is a separate lane for overtaking.

You need to be a confident rider and if you have a bright rear light it is a good idea to use it (even in day light). If there is one thing drives on dual carriageways look out for it is a red light! Make sure it is mounted on the bike, then it will be at the same hight as the brake lights on other vehicles, do not rely on something stuck on you head. Head mounted lights are OK as an additional backup, but should never be your only lights on road.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Origamist said:
As someone who spent quite a few hours on the A38 also known as the Devon Expressway (70mph limit) I know where you're coming from. That said, I would not want to downplay the problem of sliproads and traffic moving at between 70mph and 90mph+.

Whilst sight lines are often better on dual carriageways, motorists tend not to see cyclists on trunk roads and this does not help matters when they do encounter cyclists riding at 20mph or so. It's also true that oncoming traffic is not a problem, but with a stream of overtaking traffic in the oustide lane you need to be constantly aware of what's going on behind you due to the huge speed differentials.

And at the other end of the A38 near derby there are sections that are M class, well there are signs saying no cyclists and would be inclined to agree ,a lot of fast traffic, lorries etc .
I certainly would not chance it !!!

gbb

Legendary Member
TWBNK said:
Cyclecraft has some good advice for navigating entry and exit slips.

True...what cyclecraft tells you is simply common sense. Sadly drivers (and some cyclists) dont seem to have it.
Not that it influenced my reluctance to use the local DCs but i'll relate an incident a few years ago in Peterborough...and it was one of the quieter exits off the dual carriageway.
Cyclist crossing an exit section of the DC which leads onto Longthorpe Parkway.
Although we'll never know, its difficult to imagine the cyclist just blundered across the exit section, so we'll assume he did look behind...he was still taken out at very very high speed (80mph plus IIRC) by a driver who switched from lane 2 to lane 1 at the last second and then exited the DC....right into the path of the cyclist who was going straight ahead and half way over the exit section.

The driver recieved a very heavy sentence IIRC as well as villification from the local press.

A colleagues son, who was a keen racing cyclist was crippled when hit from behind about 1.5 miles from that spot. Lucky to survive, hes in a wheelchair now.

The incidence of accidents may even be lower on DCs...but if you're involved in one on a high speed DC such as round here, your chances of survival must be very low.

Dont get me wrong, i'm not against riding them....i'll ride them myself if i have to (but i'll pick my times), but while there are safer options...why would i take extra risk ? Its simple risk reduction.

As a footnote...i rode the local DC last year to get my haircut about 5 miles away. Talking to the girl...she saw my cycling gear and asked where i'd cycled from. 'The Ortons...about 5 miles away'
:laugh: 'which way did you come'
'Down the dual carriageway'
:biggrin: 'You're not allowed to...are you ?'
'Of course you are'

The worrying thought was, if she didnt think it was legal...why would she ever be looking for a bike on a DC ?

Armegatron

If its over 40 mph limit I dont bother with them. Too many close passes and dangerous manouvers have put me off. :ohmy:
Id rather add the extra mile or so and enjoy the peace and quiet.

Top Bottom