dual pivot vs v-brakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

beastie

Guru
The v-brakes on my hybrid, and my old MTB have markedly better stopping power than my 105's on the road bike. Are there any benefits to dualvpivot brakes?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Then I would say that your 105 brakes are not set correctly.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
Dual pivot brakes just provide increased leverage however this comes at the cost of less pad 'throw' which requires the pads to be set close to the rim. This could be considered a disadvantage as wheels must be kept truer to avoid wheel rub.

pads are 105, about 500 miles on them.
My bike came with the model up (Shimano Ultegra) and they were utter p1sh in the wet. I've found pads to vary immensely; Koolstops or Swisstop are normally recommended but I found I was getting a month out them; try experimenting.
And sorry if its teaching you to suck eggs but are you using the rear brake for control but the front brake to actually stop that makes a massive difference and used correctly dual pivot brakes can be powerful indeed :thumbsup:

400bhp

Guru
I hate vee brakes.

That's all I wanted to say about that.

mark st1

Plastic Manc
Dual pivot are far easier to fettle i find the brakes on my Sirrus were a pain in the rear as said the wheels have to be in good shape or wheel rub is inevitable something i was suffering badly with recently (may have been down to the broken spoke and knackered pads on the real wheel . they are to fiddly IMO. Guess its just down to experience to get them set up properly.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Never had a problem with Shimano dual pivots.
Pink blocks at the front, black at the back, clearances set pretty close and job's a good'un :thumbsup:
Even with Sora, the stopping power far outweighs my cornering heroism.

Top Bottom