Dudley Zoo...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

longers

Legendary Member
Marwell was good, that's the only zoo type place I've visited for a long long time and it was excellent. We went in spring and all the animals were up for it, so to speak.
They were quite frisky.

I think penguins would probably taste of fish.

montage

God Almighty
longers said:
Marwell was good, that's the only zoo type place I've visited for a long long time and it was excellent. We went in spring and all the animals were up for it, so to speak.
They were quite frisky.

I think penguins would probably taste of fish.

But the poor Giraffes :ohmy:
They look sooooo miserable at Marwell.

If you want a zoo, Jersey is THE place to go.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Back in the late seventies some potholing pals of mine managed to get inside the underground wharfs under Dudley Hill where they found a huge complex of canals, warehouses and all sorts of stuff from WW11. Looking for an exit they worked their way upwards and eventually came out inside the bear enclosure! The keepers were amazed and actually asked them if they would do a survey of the tunnels. Can't imagine 'elf an' safety would allow that nowadays though.

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
Sadly Dudley as a whole is in need of a bit of TLC. The Merry Hill centre really hit the surrounding towns hard. Likewise Stourbridge is full of charity shops, Cash converters and cheap pubs. There are more empty shops every time i go there.
Dudley zoo is on a great site and could be really good, they just never really got it together there. Agree that Jersey Zoo is among the best, but it was eye-wateringly expensive last time we went there.

rh100

The last Zoo I went to was in Amsterdam

It was quite sad, the polar bear was constantly walking back and forth across this tiny rock and then dived in the water and climbed out and repeated it. That set my views against zoo's from then on.

The Lions were a small enclosure too, looked just as depressed. Sad.

Halfmanhalfbike

Über Member
threebikesmcginty said:
'Just smile and wave boys, smile and wave' :hello:

Oi!!. No nicking my Sig

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I hate the dea of zoos now, though i recognise there is the odd important bit of conservation work going on... it just seems wrong to have animals penned/caged/whatever... watch a wildlife proggy if you want to see what they can really get up to...
A few friends of ours have rabbits too... spend most of their time locked in hutches... it's just wrong imho. ;)

longers

Legendary Member
Fnaar said:
though i recognise there is the odd important bit of conservation work going on...

That was the reason why I was happy to go to Marwell, they said they did the odd important bit of conservation stuff. I didn't see any unhappy Giraffes though.

Top Bottom