Dumb noob question - pannier racks on a road bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Plax

Guru
BentMikey said:
+1

I have a Carradice long flap camper, it's a superb saddlebag, and I carry 5-10kg in it when using the upright.

+2

I have recently discovered the SQR system. I have a hybrid that doesn't have braze ons for a rack. I fudged the mudguards with p-clips. I already had a carradice barley saddle bag on my tourer (fitted to the saddle permanantly). Was looking at the carradice website and noticed the SQR system and treated myself to one, plus an extra seatpost block. Can now happily swap the saddle bag between bikes.
http://www.bikeplus.co.uk/ (type SQR in the search box).
It fits all carradice saddlebags, and you can get some monster saddlebags if you have a look here;
http://www.carradice.co.uk/saddlebags/index.html

The barley has about a 7 litre capacity so I can fit all my tools etc in the side pockets and my lunch and very neatly packed down blouse, trousers, clean underwear, deoderant etc. I leave shoes in the office.
I'd probably go for a camper long flap bag now - 24 litre capacity, Girlie heaven!

biking_fox

Guru
Some Winter Training road bikes do have braze ons for mudguards at least, which will normally also take paniers. The Dawes Giro 300 certainly used to though I'v enot looked at last years models. However although I do ahve a rack, I seldom use it for commuting, prefering a warm rucksack for a 20min commute.

OP
OP
Lozatron

Lozatron

Ah now - I've been giving a lot of thought to the excellent weight saving advice here. The thing is - I get changed in the gym just accross the road from work - we *do* have a shower at work...but to access it I'd have to walk into the office all kitted out in my lycra...

I guess I have to ask myself - am I brave enough to face the jibes of my colleagues.

SoulOnIce

biking_fox said:
Do it everyday and it will be normal within a fortnight, everyone will only comment when you don't come in lycra.

Agree. Once the novelty wears off you get no comments. You could also do like me and wear baggies rather than skin tight shorts. They look better IMHO.

OP
OP
Lozatron

Lozatron

So - thanks for the excellent advice. Got a Dawes Audax bike off ebay this weekend - kind chap I bought it from threw in a rack which was nice - I'm going to be trying it out tomorrow...so now I can put a child seat on the hybrid and use that to take the little empress out for trips.

Have ordered some Ultra Gator tyres which seem to be highly rated in this parish - my current bike has the Schwalbe Marathon Plus which have served me very well but are an absolute ****er to fit. Hopefuly Ultra Gator will be more forgiving of my cack-handedness...

Randochap

Senior hunter
Good decision! An all round better bike for your use, I would say.

Check out the "audax" sport-tourers at Veloweb. More pages coming this week on audax kit, gearing, etc.

Gatorskins are a good, reasonably priced tyre. Fast, but comfy in 28s.

Top Bottom